1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Electrical help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by chrisb2e9, 26 Oct 2014.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Hello,
    Long story short!

If I am boosting a large truck, that has two batteries. And I use a set of cables to connect one dead battery to the other dead battery. And a separate set to connect one dead battery to the good vehicle.

Would each dead battery be getting 14.4 volts from the vehicle that is doing the boosting, but half the amperage?

[dead battery1]---*14.4V or 7.2V?*cables---[dead battery2]-------cables------[charging system]

2. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

From what it sounds like you are suggesting doing the primary battery (the one connected directly to the good vehicle) would receive an uneven share of the charge. The second battery would receive a lower charge and also most likely not reach a full charge.

You'd be better of doing something like the following in order to create a circuit where current flows through both batteries and back to the good vehicle in a circuit ensuring equal load of the voltage and amperage. See this

http://caravanchronicles.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/connecting-two-batteries-in-parallel.jpg

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Interesting, i can see how that would work in a charging application. And i can see how it would give even voltage in a boosting situation.

Right now we are putting a boost pack on the second dead battery to give the extra power that we need. Problem is that it's not an idea situation as the boost pack can only do that so many times before it goes dead.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

You just want to start it?

How are these batteries wired in the first place?
    Parallel (+on+, -on-) 12V double the Amps
    Or Serial giving you 24V, common for european trucks!!!

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Are both batteries on the dead vehicle the same size, have the same thickness leads ?