1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs So, I built my new gaming machine last night

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I agree that W7 seems a lot better than Vista. I've been getting better performance in most games I play.

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I did almost the same thing Tim :)

The last month i've added some stuff to my PC, but it seems my budget is slightly lower. My endresult is very similar though:
    2TB harddisks, W7, 1GB GPU an overclocked quadcore :thumb:

So far, i've had two issues with W7:
    1) installing the OS, it was unable to create a system partition. It was the first time i ever used a RAID array, so i thought that i had a driverproblem, but it turned out you need to install W7 on the volume that's listed first in BIOS. For some reason, my 1GB pendrive (used for RAID drivers) was occupying that spot :duh:
    2) unable to install certain programs, such as skype and daemon tools.

I'm also very impressed with it though.

Great build Tim, and fun to read what kind of setup you are running. I'm glad it's not an i7 965/24GB RAM/2x GTX295/1600W/12TB RAID5/Watercooled/uberuber-rig :p

Have fun with it!

PS: shame on you for not overclocking a QX! :nono:

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I had a quick game of HL2DM at lunch time today and it seems good so far. I'm not expecting it to be faster on my own machine - what are you running out of interest?

Haha, I might end up upgrading the graphics again soon as I'm still on the verge of buying an NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi. I need someone to tell me it's a really bad idea... but nobody seems to be able to convince me that it is. :naughty:

I wasn't, but I am now - I didn't see a need, plus the power bill increase wasn't worth it because it disabled EIST. :p

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Wow, that's a serious Steam games list. It doesn't help that Steam is a hungry momma though! I've not got that many games installed, yet my Steam folder runs to 25GB without breaking a sweat. Ridiculous that it can't have a decent number of common data repositories tbh.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Nice upgrade there tim

I'm also currently using Win 7 (X64 naturally ;)) as my main OS even though im tri booting Vista & XP and i find that my games are running much smoother compared to Vista (even with it heavily tweaked)

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Very strange concerning the P5B. I had one with 4 x 1GB modules in last year and it ran fine - I reckon you're right in thinking the slot was dead.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

sweet rig.. 16q is pretty nice- try guildwars on that card you can get 16q+4x aa application enhanced.. even old games like the witcher 16q override 16x af is good to go =] haven't been gaming here lately- stuff to do but mirrors edge is on the list

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

It's not... it's a really GOOD idea. I put my spending on the PC on hold for now to be able to save up for one... either that or go for 3x 24", which is actually cheaper :lol:

A GTX280 should be able to handle 2560x1600, shouldn't it? I think the horsepower race has given us some rediculously overpowered cards lately, even at that resolution. I mean, do you need 16xAF + 32xFSAA + 8 instances of Folding@Home in the background? :p

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

So when are you going to build me a gaming system Tim?

HUH?

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nice system, your p182 needs a little polishing :)

so your system is now: q6700 at 3.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, gtx280 BFG OC1 and 2TB of storage?
    my system is surprising similar :p q6600 at 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, gtx260+ OC2 and 1.07GB of storage.

are game reviews going to be using that system? it's a very rounded system and a very good representation of current mainstream.

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

When you actually game probably, macboi

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

One question, why the 1TB drive as a boot drive? I always try to keep from using my boot drive for storage to keep boot times low.

I also have P182 as a server, the shiny special edition :cooldude:

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's the fastest of the drives I've got in my system now and most of my storage is on the two 500GBs at the moment. I'll probably get all of my photos and such copied onto the 1TB, but aside from programmes, that's about it.

15. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Nice rig, now get back to 360 gaming :p

What weather gadget is that by the way?

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Nice rig you built there. Pretty solid work, nothing fancy... me likey. And I told you you'd like Win7. :p

Sorry for the hijack but Xtra: You can get the Skype 4 Beta. Runs perfectly fine on both my computers. :)

Xtrafresh likes this.
  17. rembo666

rembo666 What's a Dremel?

I agree. I think Windows 7 is basically a polished version of Vista--it's what Vista should have been in the first place. I run it as my main OS at home and I'm not planning on switching back.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

Quite ironic you say that, I get my 360 back this weekend. :p

The weather gadget is just the enlarged version of the standard Win7 weather gadget.

Yep, Win7 is great... tonight I'll be playing Mirror's Edge til either I drop or the system does! :D

Yeah, Win7 is a polished version of Vista in many respects... but I think it's much more than that. Most of the design choices were right this time, whereas a lot of Vista's weren't. Moving back to something lightweight when it needs to be is refreshing to say the least.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I thought about picking up ME for my 360 from game.co.uk, preowned for less than 15£.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

I played the first few chapters tonight and I'm loving it so far. It's hard to explain why... it's just something completely different and I like what I'm seeing/playing.

Tags: Add Tags