1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zelda dev won't quit until he bests Ocarina

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I much preferred Majora's Mask, the atmosphere was just a lot cooler.

He already topped Ocarina of Time anyway, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were both superior, in my opinion.

3. CardJoe

Twilight Princess?! I've had more fun locked in a toilet cubicle counting other peoples nuggets.

4. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

Ocarina was just one of those flawless games, miles ahead of anything that was available at the time. They'll never fo something that good again, and can't with that franchise, its been reused too much now.

5. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Ocarina of Time is certainly up there with Deus Ex, in my opinion. Just for different reasons.

But then I still hold Gunstar Heroes (Megadrive) as one of the best games ever, too, so what do I know. :)

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

What helped make OOT amazing was the way introduced Hyrule Field, you go from playing in this small enclosed space to suddenly being given a massive (not so big by todays standard) landscape to explore.

Majora's mask was a badly thought out sequel. The time reset feature made the story and gameplay fragmented. I didn't find it as compelling to play and the end was a little bit of a let down.

Wind Waker had a refreshing feel with the new graphics style but the method of exploration (on the king of red lions) was boring. Whilst the world was large, it was in essence made up of very few small islands.

I've not had a chance to play Twilight Princess.

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I was a SEGA kid :<

8. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

i loved OOT, its the reason i still have a a n64 somewhere :)

9. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

i hated ocarina, so the fact he feels he hasn't beaten it for quality yet amuses me greatly.

10. Florian

Florian Minimodder

"A Link to the Past" will probably remain my favorite.

11. CardJoe

I have this fantasy that one day Nintendo will release a Zelda game and that when I come to review it I'll open the manual and it'll simply say "See the last game for details"

12. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I have this fantasy that in the next Zelda game I won't need a hookshot to get over an annoying gap i see 10 minutes into the game and know i wont be able to cross for another 10 hours, after i've found a bow, blue suit, shiney sheild, metal boots oh and a stick. Its never going to happen is it. :(

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Gunstar was an AWESOME game. Flamethrower + Lasergun = LIGHTSABER ACTION!

14. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I can remember when I used to go on a music forum, I compiled a list of the greatest game ever thread, where people first nominated favorite games, and then they were put into a poll competition, for people to vote on.

Zelda OOT came at the top, although I can't remember what second and third were...one day I might do something like that here, if the mods permit it - although it would take some time to plan it...

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Perhaps Bit-Tech could get a sponsor involved and offer a prize for whoever guesses the top 3 correctly? Doesn't have to be much but it'd be enough to motivate people to vote for their favourites.

16. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

OoT is an amazing game, but personally I preferred Link's Awakening - yes, on GameBoy Classic...

17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

The conversion of all the major Nintendo titles to 3d, with the quality of the studios behind them and the rampant fanboys, were all considered great games. They had formulas that worked magnificently in 2d and translated them nearly perfectly. It was fantastic. Now what? There is no great divide to really overcome. You can't make a Zelda game that is as good as OOT, because quite simply, it can't advance further than every other game out there without a new frontier to advance to.
    The mechanics in zelda games are honed to perfection, they are brilliant, and are good enough to bring back fanboys sequel after sequel. But simple iterations will never win any prizes, zelda imo will never be great again. I don't think anything Nintendo offers really will be for hardcore gamers.
    I understand now why they are considered to be "kiddy". Even though their games are great, and it's brilliant to grow up with them, you grow out of them not because of the "childish" content, but because they never truly change. I used to love Nintendo, now I'll only have a reason to buy their products when I have children, it kinda makes me sad... but then at least I'll always have an idea of how to get past that bit in the latest Zelda that my kid is stuck on :)

18. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

Definately :D

But tbh, its like the old Final fantasy argument... most people will say VII was the best and has never been topped, to be honest, half the time its never about how good the game is.. but more to do with timing it seems. Granted the game has to be polished and good, but to make it one of those "perfect" is luck it seems (to me anyway).

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I agree with you Joe, while I did really enjoy OOT when it was released, I played it on the GC again a few years ago, and I just couldn't figure out why people thought it was the best game ever. Same with Goldeneye. It's just all rose tinted glasses, neither game has aged very well at all.

20. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Goldeneye and Ocarina probably were the best games I've played, nothing like them was available on a console at that time. They have their faults, Goldeneye is slow as ass now. But Ocarina was the first visually epic game, that's why it was/is regarded the greatest game. Goldeneye made a leap in multiplayer gaming. How many of us got our friends round and played that game for days on end.

Tags: Add Tags