1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Watercooled HTPC rig

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Thatguy119, 23 May 2012.

1. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Hi all, my build is now a few years old and I am looking to upgrade to Ivy bridge, but at the same time fit it in a HTPC due to space issues among other things, including the location of my big screen.

Due to desire to overclock and 3770k and the surrounding tech giving off heat I am looking to watercool, and wondered if anyone has had experience watercooling a HTPC case using a custom loop (I don't want to use one of the corsair pre made things due to noise) I will be using a micro atx board most likely and looking to fit a dual rad.

Thanks

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I want to see the outcome whatever it is! :D

1) Pick your budget
    2) Pick your HTPC case to fit the hardware
    3) Pick watercooling kit to fit the case

Wait - why do you want a 3770K in a HTPC? It's a gaming machine too?

3. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Yeah it's a gaming machine as well, my sole PC apart from a download server.

Case budget including any required mods - £250, hopefully that will not be a limiting factor.

The hardware I will be using:

Asus maximus v gene
    Corsair AX 850w
    1 SSD, no mechanical drive
    GTX 670

The case is the question, I have no idea which one to go with. I am thinking that the only option may be a roof mounted rad, not sure how that will work though. I was considering a Lian li pc-C60b, but I do not want to spend £160 just to see it and maybe find out I will not work.

Watercooling wise, a double rad, a triple would be ideal but I think unrealistic. I want to watercool the CPU and probably the graphics card, not sure whether that is too much heat for a double rad though.

Last edited: 23 May 2012
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I cooled a GTX 480 and 2500K on a triple 120, so a 670 on a double is do-able I recon.

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

And I'm doing exactly that on a triple right now in the Sig rig. Although to be fair I will be upping it to a quad in a few weeks.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

6. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Well after spending many hours looking at various HTPC cases I can see why this has not been attempted before to any success that I can find. There seems simply to be not enough room in a HTPC case for a double rad without roof mounting it, which is obviously not practical. Even using the Lian li pc-C60b which seemed like one of the most promising options does not work because, even if I cut out the 5.1/4 inch bay and have no optical drive, the motherboard still gets in the way. Alas, I think a custom case would be the only way for this to work most likely, unless anyone has a way of making a lid mounted rad work of course :p

7. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Re-position the PSU under the CPU vent, and using a Gene you have three PCI-E slots free, lose the HDD cages and there's acres of room, IMHO.
    :D
    dunx

8. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Not quite sure what you mean mate, but I am intrigued. What CPU vent did you mean? And are you implying there will be room for a rad and PSU using the empty expansion slots?

9. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

PSU above I/O panel sucking in through the top "blow hole" and exhausting out the back...

And yes, empty PCI-E slots + PSU relocated = lots of space !

Brave to chop up an expensive case though !

dunx

10. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Would a CPU above the I/O panel at the back not be way to long and interfere with the CPU block. And it would not be me cutting, don't worry - this kind of work is the reason Chilled PC exists.