1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Notch unveils Elite-inspired 0x10c

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 4 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Landing on planets?
    Infinity Universe anyone?!

Though the rest does seem like a lot of nerdy fun.
    He has announced it as a subscription based game though, which is kind of meh.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Read again: multiplayer will attract a subscription, single-player (as with Elite and its kind) will be subscription-free.

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

This could well be THE update to Elite so many have been waiting for.

Assuming that is it's possible to play multiplayer without getting your ars*d kicked every five minutes by twelve year olds.

5. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Land on a planet: Loads random Minecraft world. Game within a game.

Would be epic.

6. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Nice. I think what we need to do is run 0x10c on a virtualised system, and write some code for the DCPU-16 that emulates a BBC Micro. And then play Elite on it.

David likes this.
  8. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I'm kinda sceptical as usual. My thoughts are that I wish he would spend less time goofing around with stuff like the computer within the game, and spend time focusing on fun gameplay. For example I am tired of playing space game after space game where all you do is PEW PEW PEW lazers and occasionally press M to fire a mission. I would really like to play one with more advanced combat, tractor beams and perhaps firing one lazer to disrupt shields, another to damage the hull etc.. maybe make it so you can target different parts of the ship etc.. Basically, a game made by someone who really wants to make the best out of the combat, and I just don't think Notch is that kind of guy :(

And lastly, I'm just not sure how interested I would be in virtual trading these days. I did it 20 odd years ago in Elite and the Elite sequels. I then did it again in the X games and Space Rangers. And I've done it in various RPG's and MMORPG's too. It's always pretty boring, like some kind of real life job simulation, but I can be motivated by becoming rich in a universe that will last a long time and reward me with cool space ships or whatever. The only ones to give me that was the Space Rangers games which let you get some amazing ships with great weapons and then get in to some epic battles with the Dominators, and in MMORPG's where being rich let me twink new characters and stuff.

It could work out well, but I think Notch and I like very different things.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

:hehe:

+rep

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Or write a windows emulator or linux emulator in BBC Basic................. and then run 0x10c on that!

Loop to infinity :)

edit: and the man who managed to write an emulator in BBC basic will win it all :)

11. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

yaay, my knowledge of assembly programming may actually get used while gaming!

12. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Im intrigued. With minecraft the digital systems part of my degree paid off, with this the software development side will. Anyone get the impression by 10 years time Notch will be able to run his own university in game form?

13. Bonedoctor

Bonedoctor Have you turned it off & on again?

Will someone at bit-tech stop allowing pop-up advertising on their site? V v annoying.

14. davenada

davenada What's a Dremel?

15. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

AdBlock goes back on.

Love the idea of integrating with random Minecraft worlds when you land on a planet :)

16. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Reidquat better be the pirate infested hell hole I remember it to be, panther clipper Cheesecake!

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

At the moment, the concept seems extremely nerdy: the whole premise of the game is based on a mix-up between big-endian and little-endian and he's included a fully-simulated 16-bit processor on which your ship is based...

I think I'll reserve judgement until the game is a little more fleshed out and we start to see what the actual gameplay will be like.

I'm sure that this is a possibility not lost on Notch... Though they would likely need to limit the size of the Minecraft worlds that are created and make the resources rarer; if you were landing on a planet to mine it and gather resources, you could spend the rest of the game never having to go to another planet...

Would still be awesome, though!

18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Minecraft in space....build a space rocket collect fuel and pray acreeper hasn't managed to spawn onboard

Tags: Add Tags