1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Magnet damage to LCD TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 12 Apr 2011.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

my buddy's nephew did a number on his flatscreen with a magnet. i couldn't find a degauss option in the menu (probably due to it being an LCD) and these don't look like they'll be disappearing soon since the pics were taken a few days after it happened. i saw this video online of a guy fixing a CRT with a magnet in the chuck of a drill, would that work or is there another solution for fixing the screen?

[​IMG]
    the neon green part of this one worries me. it looks like theres "internal bleeding" of the LCD membrane

[​IMG]
    it's a little hard to see from the pic but the spots are all either gray or black

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Thats wild. I didnt know LCD's could be affected by magnets. Go figure...

3. Deders

Deders Modder

I remember doing the same to my old CRT tv most of the screen wasn't the right colour, a few days later I switched it on gain and it was gone.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2011
  4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

CRT's have magnets to adjust the cathode ray gun light to pass throw the whole screen. The degauss feature was put to eliminate extra magnetic fields which interrupts the main monitor magnets.

LCD's, don't have magnets, as they don't need any.
    LCD liquid is easily affected by magnetic fields. In addition, like any magnet on a circuit board, it affects it to some degree. While this degree is minimal for any circuit board that we encounter, it does for the LCD grid, potentially even damaging them. I can't give you more details, and don't know how strong a magnet is required, as I am no expert.

My guess, is that you pulls the LCD liquid out of their pixels with the magnet.

The bad news, is that there is no way to fix this problem.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Kids are just precious right?

[​IMG]

6. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

bit late for the "this is not a toy" conversation

7. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

As other people have said it may be damaged. I would try leaving it unplugged for 24 hours or so to see if it resets at all, cant think of anything else to try really!

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Have you tried gently massaging the effected pixels?
    Sounds strange but I've seen it work before.

9. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

The only option here is for your buddy to sell his nephew into slavery and use the funds to buy a new TV :thumb:

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Is it also a possibility it's just pressure damage? He pressed a magnet against it and it's the pressure that's done the harm not the gear murdering magneto-energy

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If the problem doesn't solve itself (unlikely at this stage, but worth a try) you could always try the magnet-in-drill trick. Put it in slightly off-centre to make a nice, weird field as it rotates and it might help.

Chances are it's absolutely hosed though, it looks like the crystal has started to seep from the membranes/structures that hold them in place.

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I may start hiring my services as Mobile Smacking Man With Van
    Parents know they will be in bother smacking their kids .. hire me and don't press charges, I'll whack the little sods for you

(disclaimer, this is not a serious business plan, do not start complaining to me and suggesting I be arrested etc etc)

13. spaceman1

spaceman1 What's a Dremel?

dont know if this will help as its done on a crt monitor me be worth a go.
    didnt see other post but here is a vid

lol

Last edited: 12 Apr 2011
  14. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

haha thats the exact video i watched online when i referenced the magnet in drill trick

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

CRT monitors have an In-built degaussing coil so it gets the magnetic field correctly, (I have no idea how, but CRTs are actually related to the poles).

It's going to be tough, but I must say, that must have been a hell of a magnet. Most ordinary magnets aren't supposed to do that kind of damage.

It looks like the panel is permanently damaged, the Liquid crystals seems to have moved.