1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink I <3 Polish food

Discussion in 'General' started by AlienwareAndy, 5 Dec 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Man. We got this little shop around the corner called Kropkja or something. I popped in there a couple of weeks ago because it's so much closer than the Tesco Express and I just wanted some bread. First thing I got from there was their onion bread, which I ended up eating around 1/3 of just on its own when I got home. No doubt I'll end up as fat as a h ouse but man, what a way to go.

Then today I needed a bottle of coke (we're all out of cordial) so I got some Polish Coca Cola. It's much better than ours. Really heavy on the syrup so it tastes like Cola from a Diner.. Amazing stuff.

I now buy onion bread once a week, and their seeded bread every other day. But the best thing? today I went in and decided to be brave and order some of their deli meat. I saw one with a Polish name on so asked the guy who runs the shop to explain it to me in English. Basically it meant "Bacon from the chimney". It's completely black on the outside. It's cooked in a brick chimney that's wood fired, for a really long time. It's just a-mazing.

Gotta say I'll be in that shop almost every day now. I am partial to a gourmet lunchtime sandwich and that place has some really lovely stuff.

2. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

Not tried much else, but the polish bread from certain slightly posh/expensive corner shops round here is amazing stuff, far better toasted than anything i can get from morrissons (my nearest supermarket).

Is the bacon smoked in a brick wood fired chimney, or is it actually cooked there then sold as a cold deli meat? it sounds intriguing either way and i bet they have some nice cheese that'd go with it.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sold as deli meat adrock, cooked off site. :)

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

We have a couple of Polish/Eastern European places near here...

Quite funny when they start talking to you in polish, and it takes a while for the penny to drop...

5. RTT

RTT #parp

I used to live near to a Polski Sklep and they are awesome :D Just round the corner was a west indian bakery which was similarly fantastic.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2013
  6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I went to a polish lads bbq end of last summer - I ate some great food. Had some really nice sausages that were like massive fat frank's but actually really tasty.

David likes this.
  7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Did you have any beans with the Franks? ;)

Can't say I've really eaten Polish food, but it does sound tasty! I'm a sucker for German food, mind...

David likes this.
  8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I ate a tub of beeswax furniture polish once and it tasted terrible and gave me tremendous diarrhoea.

David and jinq-sea like this.
  9. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

In the Polish shop I go to they have this honey-vodka liqueur kind of drink called Krupnik that's awesome.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

My local Sainsbury's keeps the Polish in the fridge. Apparently it gives a better shine. It also comes in sausage-shaped packaging. Most odd.

11. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Hmm this reminds me of the newsagent next to my college.

For ages, they had a sign up saying 'WE SELL POLISH FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

Which has now become it's permanent name as a shop.

12. AlienwareAndy

haha that's great :D

13. narwen

narwen narwen

My local polish shop refuses to serve English people.

14. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I had a polish girlfriend at Christmas she cooked polish food......don't know what it was but tasted like eating pedigree chum, just didn't agree with my English palette.

She was a great cook of English food though.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Not been a fan of some polish things, but I don't like a lot of 'English' food... and it's certainly been no weirder than some of the Chinese stuff I've had... and I'm Still trying to wrap my head around how a sandwich shop in Newcastle can sell 'Halal' bacon sandwiches though... *shrug* maybe they weren't Muslim pigs...

@narwen, locally it's the Jewish bakery that's like that... if you aren't Jewish they won't even look at you... Get the odd funny look in the eastern European places, but that's usually when I'm trying to translate whatever is on the label into English...

16. AlienwareAndy

Apparently there's one on the other side of town that is like that. I read about it in the local Guardian. Beer swilling chavs were going in there hurling abuse at them, giving them the "You took er jerbs" routine.

Apparently there's a council estate quite close to it.

Whatever. I have nothing against Polish people. The young couple who run my local one that I shop in are perfectly polite and friendly, as I am to them.

What's funny is how cheap their stuff is. 1.5l of Coca Cola is £1.30. A 500ml bottle costs almost that now. The bacon from the chimney was £2 and I reakon I'll get about five sandwiches out of it, which works out cheaper than buying Co op ham which you usually end up getting two out of for over two quid.

17. Canon

Canon Reformed

My local Tesco stocks an enormous amount of Polish food products, what I've sampled so far is nice although not all that exciting. Their soft drinks though...wow that stuff is scary, i've seen this bottled stuff that is LUMINOUS green, supposedly apple juice. 'Black' energy drink is also a Polish product from what I gather, and they have a mojito flavoured variant which is very nice!

18. AlienwareAndy

Yeah they've got those energy drinks. I tend to avoid taurine, it's really not very good for you.

I just love their deli the most. I'm a real sucker for a good sandwich :D

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Since starting college I've been sampling a fair bit more Polish stuff. There's no real supermarket or Deli around here, but god I wish there was!

20. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I am of Polish descent, so Polish food is very much commonplace for me. In my opinion the Polish bread they sell here in England is good, but not as good as the stuff you get in Poland. A new Lithuanian shop opened in town recently - they sell really good cakes and stuff, with amazing dough shapes (how they do it is a mystery to me). Quite cheap too!