1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Life in Cork, Ireland? What to expect?

Discussion in 'General' started by matiss, 19 Aug 2014.

1. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Hi everybody, hope this is the right sub for it.

I may have a chance for a job in Ireland, Cork area. As I wasn't in Ireland before although it was on my "must visit" list for holidays I don't know what would await me there as Austria is definitly different ;)

Maybe some of you can tell me a few things about the area. How are the people there and stuff. So far the information I gathered is mostly about living costs which are bit higher then here in Vienna and so on.

Hope you can provide me some insight here and thank you in advance.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ireland is awesome, most of my close friends are from Ireland and any time I get a chance to visit* I always enjoy it. I have never been to Cork (although I'm probably going to be working there for a couple of days later in the year) but I've been working there more and more in recent months and in general it's a great place. Yes, it's much more expensive to live in than other European countries. It's even a bit more expensive than the UK, but it's worth it for the employment opportunities as well as the people and culture.

*awaits confused comments about visiting Ireland.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Whereabouts in Cork are you moving to? Two of my sisters live down there and my girlfriend is currently doing an internship as well. I'm down that way often enough, usually on a weekly basis these days.

Cork is a fun place and much bigger than you would imagine. The city centre has plenty to offer, though it does get overrun with student as it is heavily university oriented.

Loads of good pubs and shops and the English market is a phenomenal place to get great food. Getting around can be a bit of a pain in the ass if it's outside the inner city though. Most of the streets are one-way, but once that clicks, driving is not an issue.

4. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Unless you learnt your English from someone from Cork, expect to struggle a bit. The accent is pretty thick, but they are nice patient folk. I've worked with some, and chatted to a few at a youth weekend, Theres a weird rivalry between east and west cork, but I had no idea what was going on there.

Dubliners tend to make fun of people from cork, but its all pretty friendly i think.

from what i hear its a nice part of the country!

One thing - don't buy a brand new car. Don't get a car registered there. New registered car taxes are insane. Buy a used one in the country if you need one.

Visit the north if you get a chance, we've arguably the best coastline on the island, and loads of history.

5. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Thanks for the answers so far.

Don´t know where yet. The company is situated central bit north. What i´ve seen so far central is the priciest to rent so i tend toward the outskirts (1-2 room apartment). No clue about public transportation yet.
    As for personal vehicle I will leave my brave but very old car with my parents or sell it for junk :p
    If i buy something in Cork it will be either a bicycle or later on a motorcycle. If I get used to driving on the wrong side that is :D
    Dialect is something that i get used to quite fast. So far a few (drunken) scots and the movie attack the block have been the worst but nothing that I couldn´t handle. As long as there is not to much locally used slang it shouldn´t be a problem.
    I´m used to local rivalries got plenty enough here in vienna but I tend to not get drawn into it.

Application is still pending so more time to wait and gather information.

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Nothing to worry about with a couple of pints :D

7. matiss

matiss Minimodder

I don't drink beer :worried:

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm not sure how well this bit travels across borders but I enjoy it