1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Rivatuner Fan Control

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Krikkit, 17 May 2008.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hey guys, I've had a bit of a google about for this, but can't find anything relevant to the recent versions of Rivatuner.

I'm after setting auto-control settings for my 8800GT's fan, as the nVidia settings are too relaxed, and the card simply overheats.

Now, I've tried using the driver-level control settings, a la:
    [​IMG]

But the sliders are greyed out for changing the fan settings between 3D and 2D, which sucks. So far I've just been using custom fan profiles and flicking between them when I play games, which isn't ideal.

What I'd like to do is use the low-level fan control that Riva provides, but I can't change the values that it detects for auto fan control.
    [​IMG]

Is it possible to change these values? Or is it that Riva is simply reading the low-level values and running with them, as nVidia's drivers do?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

have a look here for my guide.

it's basically a small hidden value in the Power user tab to adjust it, because a wrong value can be very dangerous.

3. Krikkit

Nice guide, but it doesn't seem to work, there's still no way to change the values. :(

[edit] Restart required... D'oh! :p

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Don't worry about 2D/3d clocks. What you need to do is to setup RivaTuner to change the fan speed settings automatically dependent on the fan speed. You need to setup various Launchers to set the fan speed and use the scheduler to load them at different temperatures.

(I set the fan speed in the last of the windows that you showed -> click on fixed -> select the percentage -> click apply -> save fan profile)

This guide should help. :)

5. Krikkit

Just found that, and, combined with the above post from wuyanxu, it sorts my problem completely. (Although something tells me that you didn't read my whole first post :p)

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

ah yeah. forgot to mention you need to restart Riva.

why i love to use this method is that it's a low-level hack, rather than relays on Rivatuner to be open all the time, so in-case rivatuner fails, it should still be able to auto-adjust fan speed.

7. alex4a

alex4a What's a Dremel?

It works confirmed

Simple as can be and YES it does work, even with Riva closed.

The steps by OP:
    the steps:
    1. Install the driver, and Rivatuner first, lol.
    2. go to Rivatuner "Power User" page, and find "Rivatuner\Fan", clock the + next to it
    3. change value of "AutoFanSpeedControl" to 3
    4. r-click riva icon in tray and exit the reopen riva and go to low level to change the settings.

I shut down riva to test this and it continues to work with a evga 8800gt and the overclocks stick as well:clap:

I mentioned Evga cause you can overclock the card to the max and it is covered by their life time warranty, they will just replace your card if you blow it, but they wont if you modify the BIOS soi Riva is the way to go!

8. huze5

huze5 What's a Dremel?

fan tab

hi. my nvidia geforce 7500LE has a fan but there isn't a tab for the fan on the actual window. help please! :confused: :confused: :confused: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

9. songzila

songzila What's a Dremel?

GT8800 fan by default is set on always running if not idle, just restore settings to default and you will be fine.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I use MSI After Burner, based on riva tuner and far more user friendly.

Fan profiles on riva tuner were so hit and miss, on afterburner you just set it on a little graph and it works flawlessly.

11. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

Agree. The fan profile in MSI Afterburner is much easier to set than than the Riva Tuner. Also can overclock the graphic card with it :D

12. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

+1 for afterburner

13. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I'm sure Krikkit's found an answer, or an alternative (or even isn't really that bothered any more) after more than Two Years.