1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Fractal Design Node 304 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 19 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

Aaaah SilverStone Sugo SG08 take note... price/size much closer!

3. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Silverstone has a lot of other cheaper Matx cases.

Looks like this is the case I'll go with. I was really unsatisfied with the SG02 I bought and ended up giving it to my stepfather to load his AMD fusion rig.

Thanks bit-tech for covering all these cases.

4. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Loving all the MiniITX coverage.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Me too.

This looks like an excellent bit of kit, the PSU solution is a really good idea to let you use proper CPU coolers, rather than crappy low profile jobs.

OT: Spelling mistake in the 2nd paragraph, first page, "bushiness" should be "business" methinks. Also, last sentence of the 4th paragraph should probably be "so read on" rather than "but read on".

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

No ODD = stupid, IMO, as mITX systems are popular as media boxes - it's a bit early to expect people to consign their BluRay drive to the spares cupboard.

Also, does a mITX system need room for a 165mm HSF? There's easily enough room to design a slimline mount and raise the mobo 20mm.

I'd rather buy the Prodigy and do something about the rattly panels.

7. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

I still miss a closeup picture of how the HDD are mounted in that bracket.
    Would be a nice replacement for my home server which is actually housed in a A05NFB

8. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Me three

9. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I love this chassis.

:D

10. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I like the concept, but I still want my disk drive. It seems that once I have a bit of cash it will be the SU08 for me, mostly because of the depth.

Cheers for all the reviews.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2012
  11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Nice one, but feel like a Jack-Of-All-Trade. No ODD, have to trade HDDs bay when long card is installed, big CPU cooler compatibility .... but few mobos allowing both big cooler AND GPU installed. I'd like to see a vibration test with all HDDs fitted.

For a NAS, I think a PC-Q25 is best suited, with a nice low power cpu. Only 30€ deerer but it has hotswap capability, supports more HDDs and it has a smaller foot print.

12. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

What options are for mounting the PSU?
    Upwards facing air intake of the PSU possible?
    Are there holes on the bottom for the PSU to suck cold air from beneath the case?

13. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

yeah awesome reviews lately.. but i kinda love this case.. and would be the perfect home server i think, so i'll skip the HP NL40 and build my own!

14. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Steel & plastic = partial demote...

Would like to see a test with an AIO added...

dunx

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

It's pretty much facing down or nothing. The base has a vent and fan filter - sorry should have mentioned that in the review - and the cage has mounting holes for facing down only. As far as I can tell, you'd only be able to secure one screw if you have the PSU facing upwards.

16. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Is Bit-Tech nuh be writin' wit a Jamaican accent, mon? Yah intrestin' style choice, but I an I irie bwoy!
    Nuh, weh di lambsbread?

17. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Have the Bit-Tech offices been burgled? That is my theory on why the case looks like it has been fingerprinted by the police. What a fingerprint magnet!

The lack of an ODD isn't such a pain for me. My MITX gaming system doesn't have one even though there is space for a slim drive, but I don't miss it because when I need to use a CD/DVD I can use a USB drive. If you are using the drive all the time, then it may be an issue.

I think I'd be wary of the PSU and might err on the side of caution and get one that has an 80mm exhaust fan. This is due to two things in my experience: 1) PSUs with obstructed intakes get hotter which causes the fan to run faster, and 2) better quality PSUs with 80mm fans are no noisier than those with 120mm fans at a normal desktop power draw. Plus internal PSU airflow/cooling is better with a rear facing fan pulling air through the PSU.

Lastly, my sense of aesthetics is mildly annoyed, but not offended, by the slightly curving slab front. I would prefer it if it was squared off and flat. Also I'm not thrilled by the switch/ports being on the side, I'd prefer them along the bottom edge, perhaps off-centred to the bottom right corner. But that is just me.

18. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Nah, it's talk like a pirate day today. :D

19. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Thanks for the clarification. I'm wondering how much clearance is there on the bottom of the case, as in how tall are the "legs"? If the PSU is starved for fresh air, its case will get warm and that will raise the temperature inside, especially with the fans on low speed, which is the setting most people will use.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2012
  20. [EOCF] Tim

[EOCF] Tim What's a Dremel?

Seems close to perfection to me. Bitfenix has an identity crisis. IMO if you are going to build small it should really be mini ITX small. This fulfils all my requirements, and can be easily water cooled with thick single rad with dual fans. The HD bays are just genious. Air flow looks spot on. I find it hard to fault this case.

Instant buy for me (as soon as I have the money for a new setup lol)

And the removing of a drive bay is fantastic. I still need a drive now and then, and I'm getting a SATA to USB caddy with cheap 2nd hand slim laptop DVD burner. Blueray is for my Sony player, I'm not getting my PC to do that.

Tags: Add Tags