1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Internet being really slow.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by russ555, 9 Nov 2012.

1. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

For the last few days connecting to web pages, wow or steam can take 30-60 seconds and it is getting really annoying.

Firefox and chrome says connecting and usually the page will eventually load although sometimes parts of the page will be incomplete.

Steam just takes a while to display store pages and World of Warcraft will hang on connecting or success for a while.

I have tried disabling firewall/antivirus and that seemed to work for 2 mins before the problem came back. I have also restarted my homehub and changed to google dns and I am know out of ideas:(

2. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Did you contact your ISP?? It's probably on their end.. also.. I got a feeling that your computer may be bogged down.. have you done any scans recently??

3. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

Contacting call centers is always a last resort :p I will run some scans and if that doesn't find anything I will contact BT.

4. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

OK, Keep us up to date if you manage to find out what's going on!

5. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

Did a scan with walwarebytes and AVAST both were clear. Now I get to phone BT:duh:

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Might be worth going to speedtest.net and seeing if your ping is especially high or your speeds especially slow.
    Do you have an alternate machine on the same network to test?

7. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Also check over your DNS servers, I use around 5 forwarders on my home server.

This week Google has been taking an age to do lookups and it took me a good 30seconds for a page to load while it went through other dns servers to find the result. Swapped the priority to opendns and it's loading instantly :)

8. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

I phoned BT and things went pretty much as expected.

Apparently download speed is measured in hertz and having too many games consoles (his words not mine) installed on your pc can cause your internet to slow down.

He did find around 6gb of temporary files though so it wasn't a total waste of time.

He then declared the problem solved even though pages were still slow to load. He also said he would phone back tomorrow to make sure everything is still ok.

[​IMG]

My ping in WoW is around 30ms which is normal.

Just tried browsing on my 360 and it seemed to be having problems too.

I was going to try open dns but when I saw how simple the google one was to set up I went with that one instead. I will give it a try now.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2012
  9. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

switching to OpenDNS didn't help so I'm going to try using my friends laptop later.

10. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

It seems swapping to my friends old homehub has sorted the problem :)

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Ahahahahahahaha! Classic.

Sorry, this isn't helpful, but that statement is priceless.