1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Our PS3 play-a-thon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 11 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

The back of the PS3 makes it look freaking massive! Any size reference on it? Also, it looks more like the back of a computer then the XBOX did which was more computer then console. :lol:
    Yes, I am an E3 whore

3. WilHarris

The PS3 is definitely bigger than the Xbox 360. It might not be quite as high as the original Xbox, but it's definitely wider and longer - it looks like a freakin' massive piece of hi-fi equipment. And it's plastic.

4. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

That's kinda disappointing (the plastic bit anyways) especially seeing the cost of things. Surely having a metal casing wouldn't increase the prices astronomically. Size compared with the price have me put off buy a PS3 at least for a few years. I simply wonder how much heat this thing is going to crank out and how much power it's going to consume.

bit isn't the only ones who were let down by Sony this year.

5. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

It just looks like Sony have got lost along the way on this one, bit of a shame really.

The PS3 really doesnt appeal to me, like the Xbox 360 it's on the verge of just being a gaming PC without a keyboard and mouse, the graphics will only be good for so long and unless they have some great games to come what else is there to make this a good console?

PC and Wii for me I think :thumb:

6. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

I must say that I'm disappointed with the Gran Turismo bit mentioned. Not once was it mentioned that Polyphony Digital has recently released Tourist Trophy and have only had a good 2 months to work on a playable GT model for E3. I also don't see a mentioning of the online component they mentioned at the Press Release. During the time frame between Tourist Trophy's release and E3, their main focus has been the online component, and to say that's "nothing new" is a bit of a lie. The closest thing you could get to online play with GT4 was with a hack network to broadcast your PS2 over a broadband connection. This is something that GT4 wasn't ever designed to do.

Also, in reference to the F1 title that was playable, I do believe they showed off the fact that you could use a PSP plugged into your PS3, as an actual real-time Rear-view mirror. That' completely new to the Playstation console, and could bring a rather interesting add-on element to the hardware. Not to mention the possibility of an aftermarket company taking that element for advantage and designing a race-cockpit with more realism.

Now, where was the mentioning of the EYE-TOY features, mentioned in the Press Release? The fact that you could take a normal battle card game (like Yu-Ghi-Oh! or Magic: The Gathering) and make a title out of it has been done before. But, never has it been so involved. Looking at how you could slap a card down onto a table, have the EYE-TOY viewing the table and virtually create a monster over it, on screen, was absolutely mind-boggling. That alone could be a lucrative franchise, especially since you could use a downloadable content system (like the one they mentioned for SINGstar) and keep current with all the new advances to the card games out there. I know that Magic has gone through many stages since it's inception, so seeing a game that would take advantage of it's progression, would be quite entertaining to the Magic fans out there.

I'm not saying I was disappointed with Sony's showing at E3, but I wasn't entirely intriqued in it, either. I think that they have a lot of hard work to do before Nov. 17th. Until then, I'll keep saving my money for that huge ticket price. :)

7. WilHarris

Hey dude, thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, none of that stuff was on the show floor, which was disappointing.

8. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

huh

what happened to the PS3

why are you taking photos of a PC ....

9. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

:clap:

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The thing is, with the Wii being so revolutionary, only the enlightened souls will buy it. The Playstation legacy will rumble forever onwards, which is a shame really. I really, really, really really hope that Nintendo market Wii very aggressively in Europe - the DS ads are ok, but there's not enough. Aim higher!

11. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

It looks (going by eye and a suspect measurement) to be about 14" across!

that's Huuuge! (the PS2 is only 9" across.)

- H.

12. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I thought Nintendo had stuff playable on the show floor. Or were the videos of people playing on Wii I downloaded fake? :eyebrow:

Reggie definitely said it would be playable. Kinda pointless if it's not.

13. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

From what I have seen online I'm looking forward to its release.

You all seem to be judging it based on the demo's available. They are not revolutionary but dont forget it does a whole lot more. It's way to early to start digging its grave!

Were the Bit-tech crew able to decipher any further info like Blu-Ray, wifi or any other spec's?

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I thought that pic was servers or something. Didn't realise it was the back of the console!

I mean, look at the back of most consoles, they aren't perforated that much!

15. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

At the Sony press conference, there were a couple of things that piqued my interest but not enogh stuff to give me enough warrent to drop $600 on the console.

The tilt function of the DualShake controller (even as much as I hate the damn shape and size of the controller) could come in very handy as an addition to games. Being able to help control the lean of your bike in a MotoGP esque game would be quite fun. I really can't see much of a bother for it to be the main selling point of any games though.

As I said in another thread, the new eye toy impressed me. Years and years ago, I collected Star Wars CCG cards but never played the game for two reasons. The first reason being that the rules simply aren't that clear (as I find most CCGs) and the second being I didn't want to look like a bigger geek then I was. :D

One thing about it though, since Wil said the casing of the console was plastic, maybe we'll see some 3rd party attemts at alternate shells. Maybe something that will help it blend in better with you entertainment center.

16. [sinz]

[sinz] What's a Dremel?

That's a pic of a dev unit, not an actual console.

17. pman

pman What's a Dremel?

What does it need 4 Ethernet ports for? :worried:

18. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

the ethernet ports definately mark it out as a dev unit. The size and weight specs have been released though.

"The curved console-top suggests that the PS3 will need to sit at the very top of your equipment stack if placed horizontally. The console will weigh in at a solid eleven pounds. In comparison, the relatively chunky Xbox weighs 8.5 pounds, and the Xbox 360 weighs 7.7 pounds. The PS3 measures 12.8"(W) x 3.8"(H) x 10.8"(L), which is in line with the other consoles."

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6125429/index.html

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

did you see the guy strugling with the remote to fly that plane?

another thing.....remember that part were the EA guy says something about the way they are friends with sony and that friendship is growing and says why?
    imagine somebody adding "and the blodd of the inocent" in a realy realy devil like voice at the end of it. :D

20. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

No problem, I wanted just to voice my opinion on the matter. Granted, I'm rather Playstation-happy, and have been ever since I picked up my PS1.

I do think that having physical demos can help bring interest to a new platform, but if Sony sticks to their word on the details they mentioned at the Press Release, then we need not worry about the overall quality of the console. I have a lot of faith in the company, seeing as they haven't truly let me down in the past, but skepticism is common with new products.

I guess I'm just being more hopeful, than anything.

Tags: Add Tags