1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases The mindblowing problem of a case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IcyAero, 6 Jul 2011.

1. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Hi there!

I'm almost through into ordering my new ITX hardware, but I can't find a case that would satisfy my needs. That is why I've come to you for your advise - as I need it! I'm looking for a case with the following specifications;

- Two or three 3,5" bays
    - One 2,5" bay
    - Small footprint or size
    - Must fit an ATX power supply
    - Should have good air circulation with at least some space for the CPU cooler and cable routing. (some of the Lian Li ITX cases I've checked mount the PSU too close to the CPU for my taste) :grr:

So far I've looked mainly for the Silverstone FT03, but at 150EUR it is blowing my budget into the skies. :( Around 100EUR is the max for me, but please suggest also more expensive models - in case I'll find one from here with a discount. ;)

The ITX build I'm planning to order;
    MB: Zotac Z68ITX-A-E
    RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 1333MHz 2x4GB
    CPU: Intel i5-2500K 3,3GHz BOX
    GPU: Either a short PCB version of 5770 or if the case allows, a GTX460.
    (PSU): Cooler Master Real Power 520W

I need your advice, I don't know how much longer I can stand this crappy laptop! (which has very nice lag spikes every 3 seconds so writing a long piece of text is murdering me! ;) )

2. Totoro

Totoro What's a Dremel?

What type of case are you looking for, a tower type or something that looks like a hi- fi amplifier?
    For the tower the fractal arc mini has a good wright-up on here & is a bit cheeper but im not to sure on a h-fi amplifier style case.
    Hope this helps.

3. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 6 Jul 2011
  4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The first thing that I could think of is the Silverstone Sugo SG03, but it seems like Jimms doesn't sell those anymore... It fit one 5,25" drive, two 3,5"-drives, but the space for the CPU-cooler was very limited (thinking about Corsair H70 here).

But yeah come to think of it none of the HTPC/mATX/ITX-cases I've reviewed/know support large air coolers :(

5. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Apart from the FT03? ;)
    I guess I indeed have to blow my budget for the case, as it has a small footprint and fits my needs otherwise as well. Of course unless there comes a rival for it :thumb:

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I just don't get one thing - what is the point of ITX, when you put 3x3,5" hard drives and ATX power supply in it ?

Check out the the Lian Li PC-V600 and PC-V354 cases, but in that case just forget the ITX board and get a good (and a lot cheaper) mATX board instead.

7. Jipa

Yeah ofcourse the FT03 is an exception, but I was trying to think of cheaper alternatives.

8. Totoro

Totoro What's a Dremel?

Im not too good with PC's as I have never built one before but the reason I asked the question was to help someone else answer you question as you did not state what style of case you were looking for apart form the motherboard, but the Lian-li look nice :)
    I hope it helped.

9. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

I think I've come up with a solution, I'll ditch that ITX board and get a mATX Z68 instead. Saves me 40EUR. I'll spend from that 40EUR 1/4 for faster memory, now 1600MHz. And I guess I shall blow my budget for that FT03.

Final? Who knows;
    CPU: Intel i5-2500K * 172EUR
    GPU: EVGA GTX460 SE 1GB * 117EUR
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 2x4GB * 54EUR
    MB: AsRock Z68 PRO3-M * 98EUR
    Shipping the above^: 30EUR
    +case * max. 150EUR

Total: 620EUR

Only 20EUR over my budget :lol:

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

A05NB

/thread

11. Jipa

Close but no banana, that one isn't either "HTPC" or have a small footprint. It's small for an ATX-case, but only that.

12. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

I actually did dream of that case when I still owned an ATX configuration. ;)
    But now for my standards, it has enormous footprint and it would end up laying on the floor rather than my desk. :lol:

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Arse, read the ITX as ATX (I need sleep), anyway, a good option would be the PC-Q08, but it doesn't leave much room for the cooler.

There's the Silverston SG07? I believe that comes with a 600w ATX PSU already installed.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I like my q08, but the psu is over the cpu. For anything other than atom / e350 boards that have no need for much of a heatsink it would be problematic at best. It dosen't leave room for much more than something like an intel stock cooler.
    Perhaps you might look at the Lian Li pc-v354. It has the psu over the cards though instead of the cpu, a different set of layout issues.
    For horizontal cases; Silverstone Lascala or Grandia isn't too bad looking. Lian Li pc c33 or c50 might be a good option.

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Meh, I watercooled mine, but:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-026-SY&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-027-SY&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

Those should be fine.

16. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the suggestions, I looked them through and some of them look nice.
    Unfortunately they have too large footprint in depth, that is. I wouldn't something like the SG05, but it would have to be turned 90 degrees in order to fit onto my desk - where I want it to be. :D That is why I've also been looking for the FT03 as it has the tiniest possible footprint - which actually leaves empty space onto my desk. But yes, I've failed to come across anything that would fit my taste and "need" so far apart from the FT03. :grr:

I could just turn a normal SG05 or similar 90 degress then... unfortunately I'm a perfectionist. :lol: