1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress worklog tiny li

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by spigs_rex, 9 Jan 2012.

1. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

hey everyone! merry new yearmas and all that
    ....so i started to get parts for my new build its nothing super amazing, just a little pc-q08 lian li build...just thourght id share my experences with you

this is my second real build and my first real atempt and cable modding

there will be some modding involved (mostly psu)

anywho this is what i have so far

i5 2500k
    zotac z68 motherbord (starting to question this now haha)
    ocz 650w psu
    kuhler 620 (keeps the cpu around 39c @4.5ghz)
    8gb 1600mhz corsair ram (GOD RAM IS CHEAP! when did this happen)
    and for now a old f3 spinpoint hard drive till i can afford an ssd lol

heres a few pics of the guts to this build

[​IMG]
    the 'this it was the postman got me' picture haha

[​IMG]
    my wepons of choice

[​IMG]
    the colour theme will be purple n black, i will make my own power n atx leads to the motherbord, try keep it neat n tidy in there!

2. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

hey everyone so i been doing lots of video watching on how to brade n whats the best way and what not to do bla bla....i found this massively helpful guide on overclock http://www.overclock.net/t/1122053/lutro0-customs-sleeving-tool-tutorials really informal n helped alot.....

so i braded my molex n sata leads.... as i dont have the case yet i dont know how long the other cables need to be, heres what i ended up with

[​IMG]
    i was using a pin tool which was lame ...i broke it using too much force, but its ok coz i hated it lol .....the little screwdriver was a god send tho thankyou screwdriver god

[​IMG]
    this was my final result was well chuffed lol im just gonna brade everything in my life haha

thats pritty much it so far ...i have done the ones on the pump as well but dont have pics yet will get them up with the next update

thanks, Ben

3. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

nice first crack at cable sleeving mate!

what doubts are you having about that zotac board, just out of curiosity?

cheers

4. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

Hey, thanks! ...the case is out of stock like everywere which is a little upsetting also all im really wating on

er just the odd way it overclocks......4.5ghz seems to be the best it can muster (which by no means is bad ...im used to a q6600 and a 920 lol)

just seems like im gonna run into a few snags with it... plus a silly amount of people have had problems with the ram slots and the bord making a high pitch noise

saying that, a pc that small with that speed is pritty impressive lol

5. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

that is a shame, hope you find one soon!
    ahh ok, i was contemplating a zotac mini itx board so was dubious as soon as you said you had probs, but i won't be overclocking the nuts off it so i can still consider it. thanks for the advice though.

anyway good luck with the build, i'll be following!

6. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Big power in a small form factor, itx is quite addicting! Looking forward to see this build take shape :)

7. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

cheers mate,yer i love the idea of power from such a small pc....got a few more bits on the way for the build ...the case i ordered was not in stock, tho on the website it said it was,
    rang them n they said 'oh yea should of rang you this mornin to tell you it wont be back for about 2 weeks' so little bumed out now lol

anyway here are a few pics of what i have going on so far...

[​IMG]
    the pre-applied paste on the block only covered a little of the cpu..(should of got a pic sorry) when i first seated it i couldnt help turn it on ...the temp was 38c... took the block off to move the wifi wires and noticed that such a small space was covered by the tim
    i cleaned the old stuff off n poped on some artic silver5, temps were hovering around 34-35c so not bad ...i think haha

also i hoofed the multi up to 45 (all i changed) n got 4.5ghz no problem-however it will only use this clock speed when turbo boost is kicking (you have to keep speedstep enabled) i cant find a way around this and by the looks of it online thats the best (or only) way to overclock it

[​IMG]
    the 620 fitted well (once i got the clips the right way round (such a schoolboy error haha)
    i also had to file a little off the back plate as it was pushing into sumin on the back of the motherbord, othe than this the layout of the bord is fantastic

[​IMG]
    gonna be using the onbord gpu for now. however will prob end up getting a 560ti when i have moneys!

[​IMG]
    i got this psu mainly because it was cheap, also its fully modular which makes life easyer to make/mod cables....it was very neat and the brading on the cables was well done(shame ive hacked it all off haha) also it came in a nice little fairly useless carry bag thing...not sure why

if anyone wants any pics or odd qustions about the bord please ask...theres a ton of info on this bord, but no nitty gritty stuff like how things will fit

thanks, Ben

8. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

heey everyone so its been long time comming, but i finally got my case ...only to find out the motherbord didnt work :miffed:

was little bit upset n it has now been sent back to zotac were im sure they are using all their skill n knolage on building long lasting components, and banging it against a table...er i mean fixing it haha

anyway i have done a few small things and a little bit of cable brading

the case will stay black, but the fans, drive bay, disc drive front fan mount and fixings will be a dark purple
    [​IMG]
    thats the bay almost finished it needs a little sanding n one more coat
    i used plasticoat in the past n found it a little to thick, done this with halfords spray
    used grey primer under

also got round to doing a bit of cable brading- i do enjoy doing it, but it takes up so much time lol

i was gonna use the anti vandal switchs but i couldnt find purple ones, plus the ones on the case are pritty good looking
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    i have two more cables to do in black and i ran out of brade ordered that today tho so will be here soon, haha was well annoyed

well thats pritty much it till i get the board back, id also like to make a clear/purple acrylic side panel with a logo/graphic cutout on it

thanks for your time, Ben

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Sorry to hear about the motherboard. Hopefully it gets sorted.

Will keep an eye on this one. The more I see small form factor builds, the more tempted I am to do one.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Love compact builds- this looks great so far- can't wait for more!

11. renrenderla

renrenderla What's a Dremel?

nice choice of case! good job on your mod!

12. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

thanks guys

yer little bumed out about the motherboard....but ah well its not a biggie

big pain is the brading i used is also out of stock haha, so lame! i have enjoyed building a little powerhouse still dont really know what graphics card to buy tho ... might give it some time see what 28nm cards have to offer ...and at how much! lol

i really like this case ...its just a shame the psu hides the motherboard would be nice to mount it at the front of the case, just too much effort for a small run of the mill pc heh heh

13. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

hey people, ok so this worklog was pritty much dead in the water lol...try bring it back to life! haha

so anyway, i got a refund on my zotac board (took 32 days) and i got the asrock itx z68 board and low n behold new problem! The board had power goin to it but thats pritty much it, (different problem to the zotac board) i tryed a friends i5 in it and it worked fine so now my cpu has been rma'ed :(
    made a few heatsincs fot the mobo, seems like they need it if u wanna overclock past 4... plus i was bord
    [​IMG]

so good news have done a few bits and nearly finished all the brading
    also got a new toy! :p

[​IMG]
    guess what the new toy is ahhhh :D, i cut out the two holes for my window and glued the smoked acrylic to the trim
    [​IMG]
    tadaaaa!!...my super amazing side window haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i got excited and just started cutting holes in everything haha this is were the single rad will be going...will hopefully look pritty throu the window
    (sorry no progress pics, got carried away)

ive built it up just to see what lighting i want but i will save them pics for another update
    till then, thanks for looking.

14. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

hey everyone...so got a few bits on thursday, namely my fans took them apart n sprayed them
    also finishing off the brading, using a diffent size n i dont like it so that might have to be put on hold (again)
    also got a few pics of it put together

[​IMG]
    this is the 140mm fan at the front, might get changed depends on what sort of light it gives off inside the case

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so yer took it apart, sprayed it looked good heh

[​IMG]

so thats what the case is looking like atm ...just playing the waiting game again....

15. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

You won't get an m-itx board to last at 4.5 GHz IMHO !

dunx

P.S. My Gigabyte H55N-USB3 can manage 3.5 GHz with my i7 870, but the cooling is a problem....

16. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

hm yer the old socket and chipsets use more power than sandybridge, plus there was always a shed load of heat produced by the chipset lol

you cant run the asrock at 4.5 i didnt think,(plus i wouldnt do it for long id kill the poor vrms haha) or at least its very hard to....
    .cooling the vrms n changing the heatsink on the chipset helps alot! and a few people have had it at 4.5ghz on both i7 2600k and i5 2500k but the second the pc gets stressed the overclock is throttled down id prob keep it at 4.2 as this seems very easy to achive on the mobo (you cant even change the volatage on the mobo so its hard to damage it tbh) plus its just a case of bumping the multiplyer up to like 41 and its done ....haha where did real overclocking go? lol

17. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

the z68itx zotac board is known for running at this without any problem some people have hit 5 ghz although i could see that killing it in time haha

18. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

hey everyone ...well i finally bothered to finish off this poor little pc haha ended up returning the cpu as well (dunno if the zotac bord killed the cpu or what happened but the place i got it from were happy to replace it for me :)

also, when did overclocking become so easy! The asrock board has a set of preset turbo modes (4.1 4.2 and 4.3ghz) set it to 4.3ghz and it was fine, set it to 4.5ghz under manual also seemed fine during the cpc benchmark, however on prime it did throttle down to 1.6ghz every so often....so i settled on 4.3ghz

no gpu yet! but its looking like a 670 might be the way to go

Anyway, pictures!
    [​IMG]
    this was the only fan grill that looked good and was easy to get hold of

[​IMG]
    ....then it got sprayed lol. this is on the side with the mobo mounts and is the grill for the rad.

[​IMG]
    everything bar the psu fitted ...bit messy

[​IMG]
    psu snugly fitted in with everything pluged in (the light has now been moved onto the back of the psu as it sucked there lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    brading goodness haha

[​IMG]
    and the final shot....with a speaker in it haha

thanks everyone for stoping and checking it out :)

19. Shurika

Shurika Minimodder

small & cool - great work, m8! I like your project very much, congratz with the finish!

20. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

cheers mate, its so tiny haha, im used to a old lian li case sitting next to my head screaming air abuse at me lol.