1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Remote access/admin without router config

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 14 Mar 2012.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Afternoon all,

A brief problem I'm sure has come up before, but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

A colleague of mine needs a hand with her computer, and as such has approached me for help as she knows I'm good with this sort of stuff.

Following an explanation of the issues, her suggestion to me was to come over on a day off. Now, she's an attractive lady, and we flirt - but that's it. I don't want anyone (office or home) getting the wrong idea, as I'm in a relationship already.

So I'd like to help her without going over to her flat if possible.

Therefore I think the simplest thing is to just use RDP, however this would require enabling on her machine and port forwarding on her router, which I could not set up from outside the network (that's; I'm assuming she has a router). When describing the problem, she couldn't even tell me what version of windows she had, or whether her router was in fact a modem. This is the level of technical ability I could expect if trying to blindly get her to set that up.

So my question is this, is there a program/tool/exe that I could get her to run to "dial-out" to me, so I can go in and enable RDP, and forward the needed ports and begin troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance.

2. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

'Windows Remote Assistance' should allow her to send a help request to you via email which you can then use to connect and control things.

TheStockBroker likes this.
  3. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Teamviewer Portable does not even need to be installed.

I'll put it on drop box and send you a link if you want?

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

If you just need to view her screen https://join.me is very simple.

If you need to take control teamviewer is free for non commercial use.

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Thanks, that was my first thought, but even getting her to go through the menus to find it and enable it and then e-mail the file (as we're on different versions, she definitely doesn't have Win7) seemed labourious. I also wasn't sure whether I would still need her to forward ports on her router to let me through afterwards anyway.

Thanks guys, Teamviewer was exactly what I wanted. I've downloaded and will give her the portable version (and hide all the files except the .exe so it's foolproof) and call her for the code - I can then enable RDP, or if it's not too laggy, continue using teamviewer to the desired result.

Rep to all!