1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows T500 RS installed - Rift Dk2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rainbowbridge, 7 Oct 2014.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Ok I have put it off but spent a bunch of time today tidying up as best as I could so I could get to this T500 RS and set it up with the Rift DK2 and a game called LFS, Live for speed.

I just want to document what its like, maybe do a video later on this morning, I am planning on drilling into this and get it working.

This is my set up now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have the wheel firmware updated to 43 which is the latest and tested the affects which look like this; when you press the affect all hell breaks lose on the wheel and it feels like the affect.

[​IMG]

I might get it working first on the screen normal then try to get the rift working later on, that might be best.

Ill try to give a what its like review, maybe a video, will update over the next few hours and people can read it in full in the morning :)

Resource : https://www.lfs.net/patch-6g

TIPS on using Live for Speed with an Oculus Rift DK2 :

1) How to get LFS running on your Rift DK2 :
    - Oculus Configuration Utility - Set your Rift to extended mode
    - Windows Display - use extended desktop mode (not duplicated)
    - Set the DK2 to rotated mode in Windows (sometimes confusingly called portrait)
    - Check that the light on the front of the DK2 is blue (receiving signal)
    - Check that the DK2 part of the desktop has the correct orientation
    - Start LFS and click 3D on the View Options Screen
    - Select Oculus Rift and click OK
    - If all is well, LFS offers "Exit LFS to restart using the Rift"
    - Click OK to exit then when you restart LFS it should be in the Rift

2) To reset your seating position, there is a text command /rift reset which is assigned by default to the F8 key.
    - When a new driver takes over, ask them to look straight ahead then press F8
    - Key assignments can be edited in Options - Game - F1 to F8

3) If, for any reason, LFS ends up on the Rift in 2D mode or with a black screen, you can get it back like this :
    - Press ALT+F4 to exit LFS
    - Delete the file "card_cfg.txt" in your LFS folder, so LFS starts up on the primary device (usually your monitor)
    - After starting LFS again you can try to enter 3D mode again

4) Accessing your desktop while LFS is on the Rift.
    - You will probably find that your mouse cursor is confined to the Rift's virtual monitor
    - Press CTRL+C to free the mouse and now the mouse can go onto the desktop
    - When you click on a window on your desktop, LFS will be minimised
    - To go back into the Rift, click on Live for Speed in your taskbar

Going to get this game working with one 28" screen then follow the rift dk2 routine.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2014
  2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

23:52:
    Straight away in game I am unable to set the gas and break.

checking in system which the game should reading from, gas and break look fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going to disconnect every thing other than the wheel reboot and fire the game up.

00:07
    Ok rebooted removed all every thing, also found only way I can get my keyboard and mouse to work is after the system has been rebooted take the cable out and back in to the USB hubs on the monitors.

Every thing looks clean, time to fire up this rift enabled game and get it working on the normal screen first and know at least a little bit about the game.

[​IMG]

00:33 Huge problems getting the pedals working properly in game, going to reinstall the game whilst my post on their forum is read which is asking for help on the issue, the clutch seems to be locked to on and other pedals are reversed no idea what's going on.

Reinstalling LFS

Last edited: 8 Oct 2014
  3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Ok I just worked it out before a member on lfs posted the answer:

Its here in the control set up, you can set any axis to any function in game which is pretty nice.

[​IMG]

Going to try a lap in the car then, see where I am.

01:05:

Lessons learnt so far.

[​IMG]

- Lfs is not Assetto Corsa, but it give a clean driving experience and is very pleasant on my central 28".

- The Thrust master T500 has enough torque to easily break my wrists, :)
    One moment it can be as smooth as feathers, gently communicating delicately the road surface, then wham when reacting to a driving occurrence, it can easily move my arms and wrists, the torque on this steering wheel is highly impressive, its a big step up from the G27, the g27 is not even close to this wheel, you could never dominate this wheel or push it around.

Hugely tempted to fire up assetto corsa but this is about driving in the rift dk2 hence moving on...

Last edited: 8 Oct 2014
  4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

WOW oh wow that was amazing.

It was like being in the car totally for real.

All the little bits I noticed.

The distance between your chest and the steering wheel, they totally nailed it, the arms and my arms in real life they were not here in this room they were in the car, they felt apart of that world.

You can lean right forward and inspect the stitching on the steering wheel.

The machnices and feeling of it, the only thing I can say is if you race in this, YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES, you cant say any complant about how.

Its completely differenent experience than the screen, this is the aspect view of what you actually have when you get in your car, there is no difference at all, I could almost feel the sun and light on my arms whilst I was driving down the straight.

really amazing experiencing, authentic, same as real driving.

Some one could EASILY and I mean easily spend time in some thing like this and gain real world credit for real world driving, absolutely completely 100% this will be used for teaching learner drivers or even professional drivers to learn course lessions or some thing or even new courses with out even being there.

This was really cool, the T500 included me into the driving world through touch, not sure if the sound could be improved I think it could be .

(Im an idiot I should have ticked the below box, this does the sound properly for the sound card Im using).

[​IMG]

going to give this another go, this like your skull cavity is actually in a car driving around a race course there is no other way of saying it, its totally fluid experience.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

uploading a rough and I mean rough video, I put a Lemina 930 directly against the lens almost it will at least give a rough idea, the quality obviously is much much better than the video buts just an idea so you can see.

I'm going to be hunkering down and will get my th shifter later today hopefully will be connecting that up.

video upload is at 21% so should be ready in an hour or so, its only 400mb, 4.24mins

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder