1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft, Intel partner on educational discount programme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Nov 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

******s. All they want to do is secure there future with this and try and push ARM and Linux out so they dont start to become more mainstream.

I realy hope that the Pi beats the crap out of them on this.

3. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

its actually a good thing imho, the more they push linux, the more the people on the linux camp will push back and hopefully finally fix the problem of linux - fragmentation on the mainstream side, well will see :)

4. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

I know that Linux will push back but our education system will take the easyest and cheapest way of doing things and the hardware will be cheap but training teachers will cost alot but if Microsoft say do it our way and we will train teachers for free or realy cheap, Ras Pi and Linux cant do anything to better that.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I'm sorry but why is this a bad thing? They aren't just talking about tapping in on the Pi/ Linux bubble. They're talking about helping kids to have access to a computer at home. Is there an abundance of Linux based educational software in the market place? or is it more beneficial for it to be Windows based?

As you have said in your commentary, the Pi/Linux part is "unmentioned" and you've put it in to sensationalise the story.

Shame on you :)

6. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

great, get 30% off rrp pcs and software
    If only the staff were savvy enough to use google shopping and get same stuff for 1/2 price in 1st place.
    maybe if they sent a competent IT guy to a school to teach the teachers, that'd do a bit more good.

when i was at uni (8 yrs ago), MS had given the CS dept a bunch of money and a .net lab (50 pcs). When it came to choosing final proj the heads of dept were pushing for folks to come up with a proj involving the .net stuff so it didnt look like waste of money. nobody touched it out of 200 and staying on unix machines. There were no MS staff or anything just a whole unused lab.