bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 10th Oct 2012, 13:36   #1
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
7950 worth it for 1080p gaming?

Hello peeps.
I recently sold my GTX 670 due to unforseen expenses.
I am keen to get my rig back to its full compliment and was considering going straight back to the 670 when I get paid next week.
I have had a look around and for 1080p gaming, the HD 7950 seems as if it (currently) striked a decent balance between price and performance. (Found them for around 230 online)
Bit Tech stated when reviewed here:- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...0-3gb-review/5
that the card would have rated higher if it wasn't 300.

I will be gaming at this resoluton for the forseeable future.
Recent games I have played include Max Payne 3 and I would like to play Dishonored to give you some idea of what the card will need to be able to manage with decent settings.
Somer_Himpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 13:48   #2
Kernel
Likes cheese

Kernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run Crysis
My 6950 copes well enough at 1080p, so I can't see the 7950 being any worse
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz / ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 / ThermalTake Frio / Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB / ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II / ASUS Xonar DS / Antec TruePower New 650W / Crucial M4 64GB + 256GB / 2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB / Fractal R3 / Razor BlackWidow / Logitech G500 / Dell U2412 / Dell S2209W
BF2 | BF:BC2 | BF3 | Eve Online | Xbox Live | PSN | Steam - Siuxia
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 13:55   #3
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
7950 is perfect for 1080p gaming.
Old 10th Oct 2012, 17:12   #4
Ivoryspike
Air Cooled

Ivoryspike has yet to learn the way of the DremelIvoryspike has yet to learn the way of the DremelIvoryspike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I got the 7950 almost on release, I game @ 2560x1440 and it has handled Skyrim, GW2 and others at max settings just fine. Overclocks nicely too, got my direct cu ii running at 1100Mhz with a small increase in voltage, I have seen better results also with people running at 1200+.

3GB of Ram is nice to have for the future too.
i7 920 D0 @ 3.8Ghz | Asus P6T Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 @ 1.1Ghz | 12 GB G-Skill Ripjaws @ 1600 | 1050W Enermax Evolution | Antec 1200 | 256GB Samsung 830 | 2 x 3 TB HDD | Ducky Shine II Reds | Hazro HZ27WC | Samsung 2693HM
Ivoryspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 18:37   #5
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks for the comments.
Old 10th Oct 2012, 19:32   #6
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Just one quick question, this review:-
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...q-2gb-review/6
consistently shows that this card outscores the 7950 @ 1080 across a range of games and can be had for 180 or thereabouts compared to around 230 for the cheapest 7950.

They seem quite closely matched at 1080p, is it worth spending the extra 50 or so on the 7950?
Old 10th Oct 2012, 19:39   #7
xTatic
~

xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xTatic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somer_Himpson View Post
Just one quick question, this review:-
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...q-2gb-review/6
consistently shows that this card outscores the 7950 @ 1080 across a range of games and can be had for 180 or thereabouts compared to around 230 for the cheapest 7950.

They seem quite closely matched at 1080p, is it worth spending the extra 50 or so on the 7950?
Well that is a (factory) OC'd 7870 vs a stock 7950.

Stock 7870 < OC'd 7870 = stock 7950 < OC'd 7950.

7950 is better option since you can OC it to be even better.
xTatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 21:07   #8
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Also, wasn't that review posted before the new Radeon drivers were released? Or rather, the posted scores for the 7950 in that review was with the older drivers?

The 79xx cards benefitted massively from that update.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube

Last edited by Spreadie; 10th Oct 2012 at 21:12.
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 22:18   #9
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
Also, wasn't that review posted before the new Radeon drivers were released? Or rather, the posted scores for the 7950 in that review was with the older drivers?

The 79xx cards benefitted massively from that update.
Was that the Custom PC article recently talking about the Radeon drivers?
Old 10th Oct 2012, 22:31   #10
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn
Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
keep an eye on scan, got my 7950 for 213 in the todays deals section
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 23:16   #11
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn View Post
keep an eye on scan, got my 7950 for £213 in the todays deals section
Thanks m8 shall do

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2