1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Performance PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foxpoo, 5 Aug 2010.

1. foxpoo

foxpoo Thumb it in

I’m about to put together the following components, but this is the first time I’ve built a PC so I have a few questions. Grateful for any advice or warnings before I start

Cooler Master ATCS 840

Overclocked bundle (www.overclockers.co.uk): Asus P6X58D-E DDR3 Motherboard, 2.80GHz Intel Core i7 930 @ 4.00 GHz, 6Gb of Triple Channel DDR3 RAM, Akasa Venom CPU Cooler

XFX Black Edition P1-750B-NLG9

1 x SSD Corsair F120

2 x HDD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

Sony AD-7260S-0B 24x DVDñR

XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870

Asus Xonar DX

MS Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OEM

1) I’ve read that some people have had problems with RAID 1 HDDs and an SSD setup using the above m/b. Am I right in saying I’ll have to use a 6Gbps controller for the SSD, despite the fact the SSD only supports 3Gbps?

2) I want to mirror the 2 HDDs in Raid 1; will I need to do this before I install windows? Is it just a case of plugging each one in to the SATAII and power connections, and configuring the RAID before I install the OS?

3) Will it make a difference which fan connections from the motherboard I use for the array of fans in the case? Obviously I’ll use the CPU fan controller for the CPU fan.

4) When I install the Asus soundcard, will it automatically over ride the audio on the m/b or will I need to disable something?

5) If I get around to purchasing another Radeon HD 5870 for SLI, will I need to upgrade the PSU?

Thanks for any help and guidance people can provide