1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of an Era :(

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 22 Jul 2011.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Looks like im going to be dropping 2/3rds of my PPD from today onwards guys :waah: :wallbash:

Am pretty gutted but I dont have much choice, quick reason for this is because 2/3rds of my folding kit I have in work in our server room but we are moving premises next week and because of new company policy and very high security im not allowed to have any equipment thats not a company asset in the new server room and I simply cant run the lot from home as my electric meter will explode. :wallbash:

I'm going to keep my SR-2 running which im hoping will keep me around 150-200k PPD depending on project but probably not a lot else, such a shame after over 2 years of being one of the highest producers :(

Think the following will be up for sale soon then :waah:

2 x 4U rackmount cases
    2 x Antec 300's
    4 x GTX 460's
    2 x i7 920 D0's
    2 x Asus P6T Deluxe's
    4 x GTX 260's
    Asus P5K Premium & Q6600 G0
    MSI K9A2 Platinum & AMD 7750 BE CPU
    Various other odd's and ends...

:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah:

'Big Sigh' :(

Fisher. likes this.
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Sad to hear, although I'm sure most of the stuff will be taken up by others to be put to good use :)
    I'll be interested in a card or two, possibly the Q6600, and the 4u rackmount cases.

3. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

Look on the positive side, you've had a good run of free leccy and have the points to show it, plus 150-200K is still fairly respectable (if I do say so myself :D)

4. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Yikes, that really is rough to hear. I'm not sure I'll ever be at the level you were, especially for that length of time, but it was a good run while it lasted :thumb:

5. Haphestus

Haphestus ....the folding under dog

a round of applause for Coolamasta please!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

its a shame to hear about this, but im sure the addiction will kick in soon enough and your electric meter will love you for it!!

if you are worried about killing the meter you could always stick a water block on it and cool the sucka! :D

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

sorry to hear it coolamasta... I'd take some of that stuff [namely one of the 460s, possibly the AMD stuff]... if only I had any money...

... personally i think it's a ploy ... lure other teams into a false sense of security then come Chimps time BAM! zz9ppza levels of F@H whoopass...

... here's to hoping :p

7. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Sorry to hear that man. Even with 150k-200k PPD you will still stick in the top 10 for the team, not the end of the world!

If you have any water cooling kit kicking around for a 460GTX and a skt 1155 I may be interested. Will keep an eye out.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

It's been fantastic during the time, a big well done to you!
    Do any of those 460's happen to have backplates?

9. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Don't be so pessimistic about this situation with your server room. Think of it as a chance to rethink your farm. Sell the old hardware, and hold on to the money. Sandybridge die shrink is coming, and so is socket 2011 uberness. :naughty: Chances are, with the money you could get for all those rigs if you sold now, you might be able to build some super efficient monster folders in a few months' time. Or, you could look into a solar panel / wind turbine solution for your home. When you have the right money, solutions will present themselves.

10. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Sorry to learn of the server room issue, at least you have been able to generate a huge number of points for the Team and the science.

I'm sure most of us would love to fall back to only a SR-2 :jawdrop: so don't feel too bad!

One of the rackmount cases would be of interest :naughty:

11. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Deepest Sympathy Coolamasta, I know what you are going through, but many thanks for your efforts for the team :clap::clap::clap:

12. coolamasta

Thanks everyone, you're not getting rid of me that easily and im sure there will be other ideas in the future but ive been in a bad mood all afternoon because of this and I now have a house full of hardware (6 rigs) I need to strip down and start selling. :waah:

I am thinking along the lines of what you said Chicken, will sell all this off and sit on the fence for a few months and see what new hardware takes my fancy then, might offer me old man a free i7 upgrade and leave him with a pair of GTX 460's and GPU3 clients in the startup folder lol

Ah well hopefully I will bounce back in the next 6 months, just feels rubbish as ive got all this kit sat around now, might fire up a couple of the i7's without the power hungry GPU's and run a few more bigadv's for the time being...

Will give all you guys first dibs on parts once ive boxed everything back up and took some photos, at least you know you are getting mint condition stuff which has been ran in a server room so no dust or ever ran hot :)

I would looooove to sell the quad GTX460 rig in one go but dont think anyone will want it as its a bit power hungry for 48,000 PPD :(

Anyway thanks for the support people, coolamasta will be back at some point with big PPD again (I hope ) lol :thumb:

13. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Sorry to hear that matey,well done to you for all the work youve done so far

14. markc123

markc123 What's a Dremel?

That sucks, but I'm sure you will be back.

You have given me ideas about using my server room for a bit of folding now though, saves my landlord moaning about power bills :)

15. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Sorry to hear mate.

16. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Coola - its a shame when you have to get rid of Folding rigs, and I can understand you're disappointment/frustration, but I'd echo Jondi's comments ...
    I've had to re-jig my Farm for leccy reasons over the last couple of weeks, so I'm Folding mainly on CPU's with only a couple of GPU's (@phoenicis - I've finally learnt the lesson!!)

17. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Sorry to hear about the changes coola. Glad you're still able to add to your already fantastic contribution :clap:

I see the new hex cores have arrived :)

18. BJS

BJS What's a Dremel?

Really sorry to hear that coola.:(
    At least you're not dropping out of the team altogether. That would be a total disaster

19. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Like the others have said above

20. coolamasta

Thanks again all, every time I look in my office at home I just see a mountain of hardware that could be folding as its still really frustrating, think im going to start stripping the rigs down and will start a price check thread in for sale and go from there, if anyone is interested in anything then drop me a PM as its all mint condition hardware...