1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What can I buy my PC mad bf

Discussion in 'Software' started by TOLLEY, 25 Jul 2011.

1. TOLLEY

TOLLEY What's a Dremel?

Hi all it's my bf bday in a few weeks and I really would love to get him something to go with his pc,

Not really clued up on what's what really I have a low budget of £300, I know he has a water cooling system but what would be the ultimate thing to get him

help:worried:

2. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

probably a long shot but do you know the spec of his current system?

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

£300?

Go on holiday for the weekend.

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Personally I'd be more inclined to give him a gift voucher from either scan or ebuyer, so he can chose something. Or as saspro mentioned, a weekend getaway is a good idea.

5. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

You can goto Florida for 2 weeks for less than that. Check hotukdeals... some fantastic bargains on there!

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

With Greg on this. It's probably best and easiest.
    There are a TON of non-pc related things I can think of, but let's not get below the beltline here... ;)

7. TOLLEY

TOLLEY What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure what he has, apart from when he's not doing uni work he's playing games, downloading music etc, he loves his pc :0(

8. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

The problem is that while you obviously know him a lot better than we do, we know that an enthusiast builds his PC very carefully.

You generally have to be pretty hardcore to be interested in watercooling - its not for casual users.

This probably means that he spends times pouring over benchmarks and product reviews before picking his parts very carefully, and then spends his money on it, knowing that he's designed and built it from scratch and knowing what he wants.

You might be able to get an SSD but if he already has one he might not want another.

You might be able to get him a new graphics card, but unless you know what he's got AND if he watercools that too, you're going to be shooting blind and you could end up spending your money on something that's not as good as he already has!

Unless you outright ask him if there's something he'd like for his PC for his birthday (which woulda kinda spoil the surprise, granted) you're best to pick one of the following

1. Go with the gift certificate idea with the company he buys his parts from
    2. Consider a holiday for both of you, but slanted towards something he'd pick for himself
    3. If he has a secondary interest such as
    3.a. Cars - consider an experience day at a racecourse driving a sports car
    3.b. Paintballing - don't know much about this hobby, get him a new gun and pay for a match?
    3.c. General outdoorsy stuff - try GoApe and pay for him and you, invite a couple of mates, and buy an instant BBQ and beer after?

3.c. would be a personal fave for me, except my birthday is in January and its a bit cold to GoApe, or have a BBQ party.

9. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

buy him an 8GB stick of (compatible RAM) (unless he's already using all 8GB sticks) and wear something sexy as you present him the gift. lol

10. TOLLEY

TOLLEY What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice he is pretty hardcore about his pc, the ram stick he might have I don't have a clue, might get him a voucher and give it to him with me wearing sexy underwear but knowing my luck he would just be interested in how much the voucher was for

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

cover yourself on the bed in PC hardware and wait for him to come home ?

serious though Zoons right if hes in to his tech chances are you would buy something he doesnt want or already has.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'm with Zoon on this one unless you know implicitly what he wants then don't bother. The only lower risk option if you did want to go the PC route is consider quality peripherals such as a decent gaming mouse, keyboard, screen or perhaps speakers. Then again without knowing what he currently has it's hard to make a recommendation.

Also, what's with the gutter talk? :duh:

13. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I certainly wouldnt call £300 a low budget, for a bday present, i hope he doesent end up buying you pots and pans or something on your bday.

I tend to agree that a voucher would be a much better idea, pc geeks like me and him no doubt are usually quite particular about what they require and may be dissapointed if its not suitable.

Then as its a present it would be impossible to tell you its not what he needed, i wouldnt want to upset a girlfreind.

Also how come someone whos mad on pcs have a girlfreind anyway :D

14. TOLLEY

TOLLEY What's a Dremel?

Spending time on his computer is all he does, I live him so I put up with it, I'm skint but I've saved money as he can buy some cool stuff for his pc,
    He loves gaming, forums, he has everything for the pc just wanted something special,
    But think a voucher might be best, I could cut bits out if the computer magazines and lie down on the bed with little bits covering me ;0)

15. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You could always spend a little of it on something 'nice' to wear for him and give him the rest as a voucher.

I doubt he's so obsessed with PCs that he'd pass that up - and if he is, you should probably get shot and cancel the voucher!!!

16. TOLLEY

TOLLEY What's a Dremel?

Lol
    No honestly he is all his pc :0(

17. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

loser.

Women > PC

ALWAYS.

Then again, most of the time i do all my thinking with the brain that is less clever than the one behind my eyes.

Soniclord likes this.
  18. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Take £300. Go on holiday with the girls.

If he's that attached to his PC he may not even notice.

19. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Haha :D

20. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Lol YES, regardless of how hopelessly addictied I am to 'puters, it's Chicks #1, PC #2.

I agree, unless you know exactly what he has and what he needs, forget it, take the cash to go out and enjoy yourselves. If you must absolutely get him PC gear, a gift certificate/voucher is the safe way to go as he'll invariably want to choose himself...