1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Bitfenix ["Inspired by Nature"] Final pictures!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ianovski, 6 Jul 2014.

1. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bitfenix, “Inspired by Nature”

Hereby I present my new project. In close cooperation with Michel from Bitfenix Benelux. Michel came to me and asked if I could help him build a casemod based on the Bitfenix Shadow. I could not resist his offer and took the challenge.

So just a quick update of who I am, and what is Ianovski Designs? Most people might now me from the casemods below. Ianovski Designs is my somewhat “company”. I’m not a real company but next to casemodding I’m also an animator. If you would like to see some of that, please check out http://www.ianvdmijn.com/new_site or https://www.facebook.com/ianovskidesigns?ref=hl

[​IMG]

So enough of that! It did not take long before the package arrived. After writing a review on the Bitfenix Shadow case I took my dremel and started cutting, the way I usually do it, freestyle. Michel gave me only one requirement, wood. I guess he’d seen my Kyubu casemod haha!

Oke, so I already had some plans for a casemod before Michel came to me with this offer. He wanted wood, I wanted a few other things, so why not combine them right? Following up on his wood requirement, I came with a theme for this build; “Inspired by Nature”. Since nature is one of my greatest sources of inspiration, it’s a theme made for me. Nothing has more beauty than nature itself. The shapes, the colors, it’s all perfectly matched. So that’s what I want to do with this mod. Make a perfect match of different materials and colors.

So after making the first sketches and plans I went to the hardware store, planning to buy some wood. But what did I found at the store? Right, bamboo. And I just happen to love bamboo. So I bought it, not knowing yet what to do with it but since I like to freestyle on a casemod, I would come up with an idea. And I did, as you will see soon in the pictures.

So a quick overlook at my first ideas.
    • Bitfenix Shadow
    • Wood
    • Bamboo
    • 45 degree motherboard
    • Multiple fans in front

With these in mind I started working on the case, with the following pictures as result so far. These pictures might be a little step ahead, but that’s because sometimes I forget to take pictures. Oh and because I like to show you guys good pictures! I’m still in a learning curve with photography but I do the best I can. Feedback on my pictures is also welcome!

So enough with the talking. I know everybody likes pictures, so here are plenty of them!

First, I received more than a case from Michel. He also got me one of the new Bitfenix PSU’s. A beauty I must say. The pre-sleeved cables look really good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He also got me a few Bitfenix fans. The color of choice was his, and turned out green. Perfect match for Mother Nature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And next to that I received pre-sleeved, green SATA cables and green LED’s. Thanks again to Michel from Bitfenix Benelux!

And next, the motherboard. Since it will be turned 45 degrees I needed one that was a small factor. Thanfully AsRock jumped in and saved me with this beautiful Micro-ATX motherboard. The color is blue, but not for long!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For this motherboard, my special thanks goes to Peter from AsRock!

Oke, enough with the hardware and on to the modding. As I mentioned, I started out pretty freestyle and without too much of a camera around. But I will start with the progress of idea #1. Multiple fans in the front. Since three was the biggest amount of fans I could fit, three it is! I started with a bracket for them to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect fit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, some more nature! Wood!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and did I already mentioned that I love bamboo? Well the idea is to fit the bottom with bamboo, braid it with some nice looking wire and put LED’s underneath so it lights up in between the bamboo. Not completed yet but a preview.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And ouuh, what’s this?? More of that in the next update muahaha!

[​IMG]

So there are a few things on my mind after this big update. The materials, especially the aluminum. Shall I keep it blanco and brush it? Or shall I paint it all black? Let me know what you think suits the build best. 1+1=3 So your opinion counts!

Thanks for your time, attention and who knows what!

Adios!

Last edited: 23 Aug 2014
    -MisterX- likes this.
  2. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Oooooooh I love this! :D

3. hanssx2

hanssx2 Minimodder

it really sounds interesting and your photo skills aren't as bad as mine. They look splendid

4. Father Fuzzy

Father Fuzzy What's a Dremel?

Moar wood please

Cool project :thumb:

5. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Good luck Ian!

6. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Got wood?!

The bamboo in the bottom is gonna be sweet :)

Edit: I'd say black too, making manual brushed alu look good is next to impossible.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2014
  7. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

I'd say paint the aluminum black. Not a big fan of brushed aluminum. Build looks great, love the bamboo:)

8. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Haha thanks!

Thank you, it takes some practice tho :p

Oh, there will be some more wood in this one :naughty:

Thank you Tim. And if it doesn't work out, I'll come crying on your shoulder!

Gotta love bamboo! So what you're saying is that, it is possible?

I'm more or less down to the 2 options, either brushed or black. I guess I'll test both

9. Kerroin

Kerroin What's a Dremel?

Hi,

This build will be awesome! Love the bamboo floor

Are you planning on covering the external aluminum with thin wood / wood vinyl?

10. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Thanks! I really like the outcome of the bamboo floor. Curious what the LED's will do. The back will be covered with a plate of wood!

11. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update

Not a very big update but fun it is! I started with the wooden part of the mobo plate. I want to do something special with it, such as cutting out a shape (nature stuff) but I don't know what yet.. I'll cut the wood so the aluminum behind it will get visible, anybody an idea?

Alright. I sent the frontpanel and fans to my buddy Tim so he can sleeve them for me. He IS my sleeving hero. The sleeve will black so I can put all the cables out of sight easily. As for the aluminium, I decided to test both black and brushed as these are my favorite options.

Here are the pictures!

The 45 degrees mobo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Add a little bit of wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. Let me know what you think and feedback is always welcome!

Adios!

12. Kerroin

Kerroin What's a Dremel?

13. hanssx2

hanssx2 Minimodder

starts looking good.
    You will really need a short GPU :D

14. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Dude, that's an awesome idea! :rock: I'm definitely going to consider that! Thanks

Jup, or place it at the bottom slot :p

15. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Lets turn 45 degrees!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update

Hello kind people. I've got a new update for you guys, one with nice amount of pictures (because I love making pictures). So I'll keep my words to a minimum for this one.

I started with the i/o shield for the motherboard. One of the most dificult things so far in this build. For this I needed aluminium, which was of course nowhere to be found... None of the shops around my palce had alu. So today (sunday) I went to the city and thankfully they had some alu left there. Once home I couldn't wait to get started. Cutting the piece wasn't a problem but the bending was a pain in the ass, especially since my working space isn't that advanced. But well, I think I did just fine on this piece.

Next, I made some holes for cablemanagement already and I would like to start with some pictures of that before we go onto the motherboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A small view of the whole case. It can be put together very easily now.

[​IMG]

2nd piece of alu in the bottom so that the bamboo can lay on there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cables can now get underneath the bamboo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after finishing the cablemanagement holes, which was some work because of the filing, both me and the case went to relax for a while. Here you can see the case in it's natural habitat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now, 45 degrees!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to cut the wood so that everything would fit nicely. Nothing has to be put together with screws now, the wood holds itself in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some more testing, looking, observing etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. Can't tell anything about the next update yet since I have no idea what I'm gonna do next haha. We shall see. Feedback is welcome as always!

Adios!

16. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update

Just a little update for now. I went to the store to buy some nice looking rope for braiding the bamboo together. I bought 6m, thinking that would be enough, but it's not... :wallbash: :wallbash: Oh and yeah I found out when I was almost finished.

So now I have to go back and since it's not in my town, I'll get it by saturday. Nevertheless, here are some pictures or better yet, teasers of the bamboo for the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By adding the rope, I could lose 3 pieces of bamboo. As you can see it's too long now. I will fix this when I get the new rope. There will be bamboo in the front of the case too so I need rope for that as well.

But don't fear my friends, the next update is around the corner!

Adios!

17. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Was so looking forward to something like this after Kyubu! :jawdrop: More bamboo please! :D

18. colinmcr

colinmcr What's a Dremel?

This is very cool, love the theme

19. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Haha thank you so much sir! :rock: There will be more bamboo

Thank you!

20. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update

I am the againman and here I am, again. Oke let's cut the crap and start the update. This time I have 2 things for you, a facelift for the I/O shield plate, if that even makes sense. And because I finished that, I could finally attach the motherboard. The case does look much better standing up, knowing the motherboard is attached instead of it laying around with the mobo just in it. For the looks of it I put in a GPU from one of the Cubes (which I hope to finish soon). I should look around for a card just like this since it fits perfect!

Alright, the pictures, starting with the facelift!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hang in there buddy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for the sake of it one with the bamboo in it.

[​IMG]

And after a day of working my working space looks like this haha. The table is in the hallway and the door behind there is one for a bedroom XD Well my working place has to be somewhere right?

[​IMG]

And now it's time forrrr... a preview!!

[​IMG]

That's it for now. What you can see on the preview above is my solution for the blank aluminium in the case. Sometimes you walk around the store and suddenly you see it!

Adios!