1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google enables Android Turn-by-Turn Sat Nav for UK users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Shame Hero owners have to wait until JUNE for this though :(

3. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Sucks to be you, although you on holiday :p

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I'm loving these free sat nav apps. Ovi Maps on my Nokia 5800 rocks and it works just as well as any dedicated sat nav.

5. LJF

LJF Modded

Though I haven't thoroughly tested it myself, i've read that Navigation downloads the necessary data for your route to local storage when you set it. (Apparently) It only needs to download extra data if you stray from the set route.

Just while sat here at my desk (without a GPS connection) I plotted a local route. When scrolling along the route it only appears to download data when bringing up local street names. The map itself appears to be drawn differently to standard Google Maps and doesnt have the same level of detail suggesting it might be local.

Anyone else got any more of an idea about it?

6. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

It's a shame it has to download the maps/image as you go.

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Wow, your only a week late on this news. TR announced this on the 21st

Sam

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Sweet! I now have sat nav!

9. l3v1ck

Or at least I would if my Desire could find a satellite :(

10. LJF

LJF Modded

... what did I just say?

You aren't stood indoors are you?! :D

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

It's great for short trips but even if you remember to charge your battery before you go on a longer trip, your phone will still be dead in a couple of hours as the GPS and A-GPS network triangulation take a heavy toll on the battery. I've got in the habit of using a portable battery pack in the car for my iPhone + CoPilot which keeps it going for about 12 hrs of navigation, but if you already have a dedicated sat nav unit, it's far from redundant imho.

12. Eccles

Eccles What's a Dremel?

Hopefully the voices will be sorted out at some point as the TTS it uses on the Desire is rubbish and quite often it's too garbled to understand. Apart from that it seems to work well.

13. human_error

human_error What's a Dremel?

I've been using google navigation since it was enabled last week and before that i was using brutal's hacked verion of google navigation for use in the UK.

The data usage for maps is as follows - when you plot a map initially it stores the basic map data for the entire route, and about 100 foot of the roads along your route in case you make a small mistake. If you need to significantly re-plot, have sattelite view enabled (instead of the map view you get the google earth sattelite images as your map), if you want to see street view images of where you are and where you are going or if you have the traffic info up then navigation will need a data connection to enable those features (the sattelite image view is great to drive with, but eats bandwidth and needs a constant connection else you get low-res images or just the plain road map if you don't have any data bandwidth available.

I love google navigation - ever since i started using it my old tom tom pda kit has been sitting idle - nothing beats having fully up-to-date maps with the option to do a voice search for things you need on the way - low on petrol, ask it to display gas stations and it will show you all the petrol stations near you, with the option to get info such as phone numbers and user reviews with a couple of clicks.

As for battery life yeah it drains your battery fast, but if you are using it in a car why the hell would you not have it plugged into a car charger anyway? Even before google navigation i plugged my phone into the car charger just to keep the battery topped up.

14. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

.... or you could just plug your phone into the cigarette lighter socket - just like the satnav, for that matter. Also if you need directions while you're on foot chances are you don't want to carry around a portable satnav, but you'll more than likely have your phone.

I've been using Ovimaps for yonks. A while back my N95 had free maps for a good while, and you downloaded the map files as well so you were sorted even if there wasn't a data connection. Lost that with the N97, but they made it free for all a few months back. It always used to come up with different routes than Googlemaps, though, and I tended to think that GM gave a better route - you just have to read it like a map if you haven't got an Android. Still, they both get you where you want to go.

15. l3v1ck

Technically yes, but I was right next to a big window so it should have picked up something.
    I'll give it another test outside tomorrow.

16. Crunch77

Crunch77 What's a Dremel?

Shame that it is not enabled in Scandinavia yet, just as paid apps aren't.
    Would certainly be nice with an option to pre-download data for an area/county/country, especially when going abroad.

17. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

got my desire just as satnav in car packs in...

18. humdrumian_monkey

humdrumian_monkey What's a Dremel?

About time someone released free sat nav software

19. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

any recomendations for a car mount that will support most HTC android devices?
    I will def pick one up now, probabaly the incredible when its avilaable in the UK if ever else will be desire or legend

Tags: Add Tags