1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Upgrade from fresh Win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cerberus90, 2 Nov 2015.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Can I run the Win 10 update tool from a USB on a fresh install of Win 7 with SP1 (no updates just activated)?

or do I need to install all the updates onto 7, then do an in-place upgrade using Win Update, then wipe and clean install from usb media?

2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

If you can wait until the "Fall" W10 update which is due shortly, you can use your W7 product key to authenticate in W10 directly.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Can wait for that, do we know how shortly?

Bit annoying as I just had 10 on but had to wipe and install 7 as the key didn't work (thought it might have let me swap hardware but it didn't :D ).

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

What you can do, as I did at the weekend as I had to reinstall 7 onto a new SSD, is just go to the W10 upgrade page, download the upgrade tool, and wait for it to download and verify.

5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Fall update is due out in "November", nothing more specific that that but some sites had said it might be out November 10th

6. Deders

Deders Modder

I found that once I had upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, I've not needed to enter the key with later re-installs from a USB device. It seems that the key is registered with your hardware and despite not entering a key both times during install, Windows automatically activates itself.