1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a leader or a follower?

Discussion in 'General' started by sam.g.taylor, 19 Oct 2006.

1. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

71% leaders and 29% followers. So many deluded people. I guess it's cute though, the self-delusion.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Seems to be rather self recursive, the more people see that leaders are more popular (and they believe that leaders are better) the more they will be inclined to click that they are a leader.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Thus they are followers ;)
    I voted follower personally however given the right conditions I can be a leader but the trouble is that the question lacks context. Some people may lead a team for say.. paintball however they may not be able to lead a project team at work.

I think the question is quite subjective.

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Where's the "ask my woman" option? =P

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm not sure I agree. Some people just seem to be more at ease with it, falling into it when neccesary or sometimes by accident. I guess due to leading taking a fairly high degree of assertiveness and self-confidence, certain people will be more prone to it than others.

7. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Or the Ill do whatever keeps her quiet and or happy.

I dont think that there is a definate answer to that question, when me and my friends go do something its more of a whoever suggested it has to see it through. And having one question is a little too generic to figure it out, what if I really was something other than what I selected. Have a percentage thing at the end that says your about 40% leader or something to that effect. However whenever I do something for school I usually put as little effort into it as possible in order to get a decent grade. Hope we all dont skew your results too much. :D

8. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I answered that I am a follower. Whereas in many situations I am a leader, today I was a follower. The professor had 4 discs of software for 14 of us. So we'd have to take turns using the disc to install the software. He asked who wanted to be the first people to borrow the discs.

Now, I was in the front row so I couldn't see who was raising their hands, but I didn't be the first one to ask for a disc. After he gave the 1st two away, I raised my hand, but that's ok I'll get it next time.

So yea. In cases where I don't want to stand out and be presumptious, I heed caution and follow. In terms of standing out when it matters, I lead.

:D

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Im a follower almost everytime - leaders have to do too much work ;)

10. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Depends on the situation, didn't answer the question as there's no accurate answer

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Is this some sort of gay euphemism

12. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

:worried:

Personally, I think I could be either given the situation. At this very moment however, I feel follower is more appropriate.

anyone else think this question assumes that your either one or the other, as if its some sort of universal constant? not sure if I agree... :eyebrow:

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If you followed the link to a site because someone requested you todo it, then you're a follower right

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :thumb:

15. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

not quite.. if they told you to visit the link rather than requested it, you might be correct, but a request in and of itself is not an order, thus visiting the link cannot be considered a completion of those orders, which cannot be considered following 'anything'.

16. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

How do you define a leader or a follower? In what context?

That's why HSBC ads at Heathrow terminals are always interesting to me. You look at the world from different standpoints, hence no one's opinion is absolute, aka "everything is relative" (just to add a bit to the paradox, even that quote itself is relative, lol, for confusion)

Who you see as a leader might be who I see as a follower.

And the ratio of CEO:employee has never been 71:29 lol

17. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'm definately a follower, rubbish at leading, but I can listen and then replicate instructions pretty damn well.

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Same. I can lead when I need to or when it'd be appropriate, but I'll sit back and let someone else do it when I'm lazy/inept. Though in truth, I'm just off doing my own thing more often than not.

19. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I can't answer the first question without a "Neither" option: I pick a direction & go (or don't pick and then I stay where I am). If someone is "leading" I'll follow as long as it makes sense to me. If I'm ahead of others I just hope they don't expect me to lead them - I'll help them as I can - but they should choose their own path too.

20. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Letting people pick isn't quite a good strategy. You should have 300 statements where you should answer: Totally false, false, neutral, true, totally true. Then analyse that data per person (automatically) to see if they are more the leader-type or more a follower-type.

The only thing you know now is that 50% thinks they are a leader and 50% thinks they are a follower. (at the point I did the poll).