1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mobile Phone - What do I get next? Do I wait?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Craig_T, 5 Feb 2015.

1. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

So, I currently have an iPhone 5 and my contract has ran out so I am due an upgrade. Now, I like the phone, I like the size it works good for me. But, it's just slow and buggy and this annoys me.

I know the iPhone 6 has got a better spec, so probably wouldn't have these same issues however I imagine the battery life is equally as poor as any iPhone. So the question I have is, do I hold out for a 'next release' or do I upgrade now?

I had a little play on an S5, but it seems big, I cant reach all of the screen with one hand/thumb like I can on my iPhone 5 which makes me not like it as much with it being so big and bulky BUT the screen quality is brilliant.

What are my options? What are the pro's and cons, from peoples own experience not just a typical internet review... iPhone 6? S5? Wait for S6? is there something else due out?

andrew8200m likes this.
  2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Probably looking Aug-Oct for the next iPhone.
    I quite like my 6 but I'm firmly in the iPhone camp.

3. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I have an iPad so still have access to the garden I locked myself into. However, the HTC M8 is wonderful and there is talk of an M9 due soon which means you could get a decent deal on the M8... Mine runs latest android and, when it's out of the manufacture warranty, will be rooting to stock...

4. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

S4 here and it's started rebooting regularly.

One Plus One is favourite but if I can hold out then it'll be the One Plus Two. Cheap and cheerful.

5. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

I'm not a massive fan of HTC's, I think it's out of samsung or iphone.. How does the iphone 6 run, is it quick or slow like my 5?

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Wife appears very happy with her 5s sh has had just over a year. Fully updated and appears to be working well for her.

7. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

S5 here had a S2 the wifes got it now had the S4 but that kept rebooting the S5 has been great still ok with the recent lollipop upgrade too

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Picked up a cheap Moto G, actually seems better than my S4 was. Lollipop coming to it Soon hopefully

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

iPhone 6 is a good phone. Battery is better than the 5, due to the fact they can fit a bigger battery in! I've got the Plus (which runs for 2 days) and the wife has the normal 6 which can get through a full day no problem.

10. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

Might be time to make the jump to android? There are some powerful phones out there with 5" screens which are not as big as the new iPhones.

11. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

How crucified will I get if I mention Windows phones? :D

(In all seriousness, I've messed about with friends' and they're growing on me. I think it remains an underrated platform, and some of the Nokias are seriously nice.)

12. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

Windows phones are getting better, if you want it for generic smart phone features they are great phones (and the Nokia's are built extremely well) but they are still lacking in the tweakability of android. However if you are coming from an iPhone that will not phase you.

13. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Experia Z here excellent phone battery last 3 days before charging 4G works well on it

14. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I think it is still between the iPhone 6 and waiting for the S6. I think I will have a play with an iPhone 6 in the shop and try do a bit google on what is coming with the S6, as I can only imagine that the already well though of S5, will mean the S6 is just even better!

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Don't discount HTC so quickly, It's build quality is exceptional, and doesn't have TouchWizz. Battery life is very good, i've used it heavily on day trips to London, used GPS, Wifi and 4g, and only really start to worry about battery life when i'm deciding to go home. My One M8 is now running Android 5.0.1 which is nice. My biggest gripe however, is the battery, something the M9 should fix is the camera, It's not great, It's an interesting concept, but, i don't think it works. The M9 should launch March/April time.

Sam

16. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I vote Windows phone. A cheap Lumia would tide you over till something else came out. It would allow you to evaluate windows platform. Live tiles beat widgets and feel cluttered IMO and it's less like a game of russian roulette every time you update. I got sick of Android apps breaking every small update carried out or trawling 100 apps just to find a clock that could simply tell the time for example. Sometimes, simplicity is a feature.

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I'm waiting for the new lumia and the S6. Will then decide after looking at them

18. sixmillionways

sixmillionways What's a Dremel?

I've got the LG G3 (previously had Samsung S2 and then LG G2). It is a wonderful phone, great battery life, screen quality, icon set, features AND price (got mine free on £18/month contract with O2).

Only downside for you might be the size (I love it personally but it looks giant next to an iPhone!).