1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon's Kindle in copyright kerfuffle

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Douchebag. Case closed.

3. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

+1

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

+33345325352

Last edited: 12 Feb 2009
  5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

most pathetic patent... how many times have i heard/read this?

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

That is really silly. Does the "voice" even sound any good?

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, if the publishers have their way, you should only be able to read it. You'd need to pay extra to be able to hear it ;)

8. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

With rediculous copyrights like this, no wonder the arts are dying. Technically it's illegal for me to barrow a book from a friend, theoretically the libraries are illegal as well. This is absolutely rediculous.

9. teh DG

teh DG What's a Dremel?

I suspect this is down to one or both of two things:
    1) they copyright holder has sold rights to a third party and is contractually bound to enforce the rights,
    2) it's being used as a negotiating tool to increase royalties. Copyright holders may be inclined to agree one thing when a product's success is unknown, and then want something better once the product is a proven success (and the other company is in a poor bargaining position, to boot). Company A takes a risk and it pays off, company B starts thinking it "deserves" a bigger share of the spoils it never took any risk for. Well, companies are hardly unique in this.

10. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

This should set a legal precedent... Amazon's sole defence is telling them to **** off.

11. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Random question:

Is it just me or is 99% of patent litigation nowadays nothing but sheer greed attempting to destroy innovation?

Pretty much every single thing patent related in the past few years has resulted in a urge to *facepalm* so far...
    English patent law is bad enough, but at least we don't have software patents *yet*.

I just can't help thinking that the entire patent system is so broken now it should just be scrapped and started over, it seems it only exists to feed patent trolls nowadays :(

12. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

Every patent related lawsuit anyway, yes. I havent really seen one that didnt result in a facepalm.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

my patent troll detector has just exploded from the insane amount of stupidity of this act!!

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Well...i can understand the part about "rights for audiobooks sold seperately"
    Especially since audiobooks seem to be a growing market.

It's the only part that makes any kind of sense, though

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I was just wondering... If I read the through my glasses the letters will/might be distorted. SURELY that makes the information reaching my eyes derivative as well. Subsequently my glasses need to be "authorized" to do the reading process. At a fee, of course.

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Worse, they could act as a mirror and someone else could see the text, since that would be too hard to enforce as a law I'd suggest going to jail 5 years before you purchase the product containing the information just to make sure.:D

17. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I say sue the punk who's voice is replicated by the Kindle! He's the one distributing the content without a license to people's ears! :B

18. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I guess human kind is getting a little bit too much addicted to law suits... Everything done is prone to be in court just because one little piggy tried to make a fuss out of it. Pretty much almost every news is about a court case that envolves some sort of jackassery rights violation...

Ok, he said that Amazon should be praised for having developed a tool for the visually impaired but would someone try to make this into a app you should buy if you want the book to be read out loud?

Jeez, that's why lawyers are getting fatter and rich

Tags: Add Tags