1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LG unveils world's first Chrome OS all-in-one

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Dec 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

2.15"?

I like the idea, not the design and LG have some awesome looking monitors/TVs.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've got a couple of screens around that size somewhere... But yes, it should be 21.5" - fixed, ta!

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Not that I'm a fan of chrome OS, but I thought it could be used offline almost as effectively as any other laptop these days? Writing emails. creating and editing documents, listening to music, editing photos... all of these can be done offline.

Sure activities that require a net connection (EG streaming live broadcast media, viewing live tweets) can't be completing when offline but that rule applies to ANY connected device.

I thought the 'point' of chrome was a no frills, no updates needed, low footprint OS designed to run HTML/js based apps rather than traditional 'software' based app installs. I think it's gone further than being a niche experiment, and for many people would be a viable tool. My mother in law for example only uses web based tools so it would be perfect for her (If she didn't want and wasnt getting an iPad!)

Again, not the OS for me but I see a place for it. It's a shame that the likes of Microsoft go spreading mistruths by claiming (though the side of their mouths) that it's useless when not connected to the net.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Depends on the app in question; a lot work offline, but a lot don't. If you're using Google Drive, though, you're pretty much golden - as long as the file you're wanting to work on is held locally on the SSD, of course.

While you're here: I'm still awaiting your response on this thread as well as this one. Any chance you might deign to respond, or is admitting you were wrong really that difficult for you?

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Microsoft were in fact speaking the truth otherwise Google would be seeing them in court Guinevere.

Can't see the point in this device at all. Why use all the tech but then restrict what you can do with it? As useless as the Chromebook.

7. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Personally I would see it as ideal in my office, except for the fact that I need a windows machine with a dvd drive to view x-rays/MRI scans etc. All the other software I use is web based, either Drive for word processing etc. or cloud management software. Makes more sense than a chrome book.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We actually owned one (a Samsung model), and we really wanted to love it. It was nicely built (shame about the mediocre screen), lightweight, had great battery life and fast boot times. But there were too many small details that made for a frustrating and incomplete experience. It had obvious omissions, strange solutions for offline working and although being all online device, it would not talk to a NAS or networked printer. To print from it needed the mediation of a regular Windows or OSX machine. It created the impression to cooperate with MS Office but it did not.

It's a pity, because with some attention to detail it could have been really good. Bit anyone who complains about Windows 8 really should try Chrome for a few days.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

You should have put ubuntu on it for the lolz. It would do all you mentioned.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Thought about it. But it was a machine for my wife, who is not as hard-core geek as I am (at least not when it concerns computers). In the end we sold it and she now has a Lenovo Yoga 11 with Windows RT. It is not full-fat Windows, but it is still infinitely more useful than Chrome.

11. ArthurB

ArthurB What's a Dremel?

I would rather have a Chromebook (or Chromebox) connected to a 24" or 27" LCD personally.

I bet the screen on the LG Chromebase is going to have pretty poor viewing angles like many other Chromebooks do.