1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 a mirror?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 2 May 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I had to spend Wednesday in hospital and took my tablet with a couple of films loaded to while away a few hours. First time I have used the tablet outside my home and the first time I have viewed a film and I was struck by the reflective surface of the tablet. It was pretty much a mirror without it being directly in the light.

The films were not unwatchable but as I am likely to be spending a bit of time in a similar situation I was wondering if there was anything I could do about the tablet? If not can you suggest something reasonable cheap that/smallish that this reflective issue is not so noticeable?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd try a matte-finish screen protector; cheaper than a new tablet, and should take the worst of the glare off. Just make sure the screen is squeaky-clean first, and be very careful to avoid annoying air bubbles when applying!

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Unfortunately that's a symptom of many tablet screens... The only things I've found that can combat this is 1) cleaning the screen to remove fingerprints etc and 2) cranking up the brightness (which will obviously rinse your battery life...) Some tablets will reflect more light than others but none will reflect no light

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am the absolute worst when it comes to fitting screen protectors. I can only just manage an average sized phone and that was hard enough. I did buy a couple of quite pricey protectors but it would have been less frustrating if I had just thrown them in the bin rather than trying to fit one.

I have looked on YouTube for videos on how to do this simply but nothing worked for me. Thanks anyway.

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I feel for you mate.

I know it isn't much help, but in the interests of discussion I've found AMOLED screens to be the only mobile device screen that works pretty well in sunlight/outdoors. Whilst popular on high end mobiles, it hasn't really appeared on high end tablets since the Samsung Tabs from 2011.

An as yet unofficial Samsung tablet is set to be the first real high end post 2011 tablet that has such a screen: http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-2560-x-1600-amoled-display-leaks-detail/

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not sure where where you got outside viewing from mate. I was in a hospital bed trying to watch a film. No direct sunlight, in fact it was a really foggy day, afterall thisvis Scotland. Lol. I am going to try a anti-glare screen protector if I can fit it decently enough.
    Watch this space.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

[​IMG]

Kronos likes this.
  8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Fantastic idea. Now why did I not think of that. I have plenty of the partners knitting experiment to choose from. Have some rep.

But on a more serious not on my second try at placing an anti-glare screen-protector I succeeded with only two tiny air bubbles. Success.