1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Playstation 1

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 12 Sep 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Recently picked up a PS 1 on the marketplace here and a few games also. I am currently playing Resident Evil 2 and had forgotten how genuinely scary in parts this game is.

But more importantly what great fun it is, OK graphics are naff by today's standards but I am really reliving the experience. Res 3 next which I am also looking forward to.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

resident evil 1 and 2 > all other resident evils

original dino crisis was quite fun too :)

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Got that as well.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice purchase, so many good games for a PSX!

G-Police, Agent Armstrong, Ridge Racer, Star Wars Rebel Assault, Tomb Raider etc etc. Of course, you've also got the two stars (imo) - MGS and FFVII.

5. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Resident Evil 1 (Remake) was terrifying...

Also, the best Playstation 1 game ever is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Amazing.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Another vote for Metal Gear Solid (tied with MGS3 for the best in the series, in my opinion).

All three Colony Wars games (but they can be absurdly hard).

Wipeout 2097 and Wip3out

Crash Bandiccot 1-3 (but not if you hate platformers, even less if you hate difficult ones)

I loved G Police as well, number two adds a mech and space combat, which was nice.

7. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i always liked bushido blade. Quickly jabbing your opponent in the face with a saber/rapier before they can even draw their massive sword/hammer back was always particularly satisfying. and unlike most beat em ups, a jab to the face meant game over :)

8. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Future Cop: LAPD!!

Single player, coop or versus, it was all good

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ahh the good old days of console gaming, pre broadband and online gaming. I have a PS2 somewhere which needs dusting out but more than likely still works. tempted to open her up for a deep clean and some games but scared I break it.

I will say that MGS3 and FFVII are my favourite games. Which reminds me I have an email to send to someone who asked what my favourite game was yesterday. Said person is an AVG Exec :hehe:

10. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Rage Racer, Dave Mirra BMX and Gunbullet were my faves. I used to love Streetfighter EX plus Alpha too.

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well, that gave me a flashback.

I

LIVE

AGAIN!!!

12. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

That gave me a flashback to Army of Darkness, and that makes me think of how happy I am there's going to be an army of darkness 2, and evil dead 6 and 7.

The original trilogy were recommended viewing on our gaming weekends; the playstation wasn't pre-multiplayer for me. I still have the null modem cable with both serial and parallel ports on it that we used to use to connect two machines and charge around in doom :) happy memories.

and the days of red alert over dial-up, 'My cruiser's would totally have wiped you out if my mum hadn't tried to call my nan'.

and the early token ring adaptors we got from work so we could have a game of star wars supremacy which lasted a whole weekend and ended because the empire forgot to bring any fighters to the party.

that was the more elitist end of our gaming, we also used to get together with a couple of TVs and a pair of N64s for goldeneye/mariokart/starfox for the weekend (also bbq, and beer).

good times. I'm sadly too young to have ever gotten into LORD, though I did run a server of it for reminiscence purposes in uni :) Even in the mid 90's, it seemed like the internet was way cooler in the 80s because of wargames and the concept of BBSes.

edit: sorry, not very PS1 orientated. I also miss ISS on the playstation, before FIFA returned to dominance.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I can remember when I first played the Resident Evil games that at times I used to get goose bumps and the hair on the back of my neck stand up, guess what I still am. Fantastic stuff.

Got a couple of Crash Bandicoot games which I will have a look at after I have had enough of the survival horror. Also have a copy of MGS and a favourite of mine Alien trilogy, which should be remade.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Never had a PS1, but we got a PS2 and I had Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles for PS1 which I played on it with my brother, great memories, although we went back a little while ago to have another go, couldn't get any further than we could years ago, and we were getting far more frustrated at the controls than I remember :p

I would love a company to remake that game with just updated graphics and tighter controls, instant buy.

15. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Nightmare Creatures was another classic!

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just had a look at that on Youtube and added to the list of games to play..

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hmm... I might have to break out my giant games box and PS3 tonight...

Definitely need to replace my copies of Colony Wars! And Tekken as well, what an epic series.

Edit: Oh my, it's started... So many games on eBay, so little time!

Last edited: 12 Sep 2013
  18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Lol.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Big shout out for Vandal Hearts and Suikoden, absolutely brilliant games which I still play now from time to time.

20. suragh

suragh Derp

Abe's Odessey is a classic, epic game - if that is available on the marketplace.