1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-Tech Brexit Poll

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Pookie, 8 Jun 2016.

?

Should we be EU members?

1. In

74 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Out

75 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Shake it all about

15 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I thought this would be intresting with the vote only days away.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Not a bad idea - I'm 100% for staying in. I think that the risk of leaving FAR outweighs any potential long-term (perhaps very very long term) gains.

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

No, "undecided" option?

4. Pookie

Very valid point sir, I will try and add the option.

EDIT: I cant find a way to edit the poll, maybe a mod can assist? Otherwise its just for those that have made a decision :thumb:

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm definitely voting to remain within the EU.

I've seen far too much good come from the support of the EU in an around Cornwall to even consider the implications of leaving.
    Plus my job in the voluntary sector pretty much relies on the support of the EU, so I'd prefer to not have any fiction caused by leaving them messing with our work or the work of other charities in the area.

6. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I'm voting to remain. Not only for serious ramifications if we leave, the last thing we need is for this island to become an isolationist

7. GeorgeK

I think that should be it sorted :) I can see an "Edit Poll" link just above the results

8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Remain.
    If we don't stay we will still have 90% of the negatives of the EU but without any form of control/input into fixing them.

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

It'd also be interesting if people who select 'Undecided' could give an idea of what they need to know to help them make a decision.

10. Pookie

Thanks George :thumb:

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Remain.

The Leave camp have done nothing but spread fear (about the consequences of staying) and lies (about the benefits of leaving). Nothing else - no credible analysis of any real benefits.

IMO, voting to leave is a vote for nativism and isolationism. You're voting your fears, not your hopes.

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm stubbornly undecided. If I still haven't been able to more clearly understand the potential economic benefits of the Leave campaign by voting day, I'll vote Remain simply as a deference to authority (govt and leading economic authorities say it's the safest option). For now I just don't have enough information. I'm not afraid to admit uncertainty when uncertainty is the only logical response.

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

This is so true. From most of the comments I see from "friends" on Facebook, they're really voting to leave because the EU is full of foreigners.

I think a lot of people are expecting to just wake up the day after the referendum and see everything perfect and bright once more. The truth of the matter is that it's going to take the UK years to extricate itself from the EU, replace UK laws containing EU directives with alternatives, renegotiate trade deals with pretty much every single country in the world...

Last edited: 8 Jun 2016
  14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I've yet to see or hear a valid/convincing reason to leave.

15. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Interesting to see this poll in favour solidly for remain comparing to other places where the polls are a lot closer because people can vote by using their fb, google and etc accounts and not necessarily having to create an account to vote. I think this poll is a nice example of a spam-free poll.

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The Leave-heavy leanings of social media are also part of a broader trend in the Brexit run-up where the Leave supporters are generally much louder and more actively involved than the Remain supporters. I know people in both camps and the Remain people are pretty disinterested in the whole run-up, they're just going to turn up and vote on the day. By definition they're less vocal because they're reading and absorbing information and weighing it up (where a lot of Leave votes are knee-jerk 'gut feeling' votes and have already made their minds up). They haven't even looked at the online polls and they don't have much time to get active on Facebook.

So I'm not placing too much weight on the apparent leaning of things on Facebook. Social media disproportionately represents simpleminded bigots, for one reason or another, who are - no disrespect to the Leave campaign, who consist of many types besides that, but it's unavoidably true - all going to vote Leave.

17. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

I voted NO because I believe that it would be better for GB over all. If I'm wrong then I would vote yes - whatever it takes for GB to be in a better place is my vote.

:thumb:

18. GeorgeK

That's interesting because about 95% of my friends that are posting about this on FB are posting pro remain material :)

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Remain. Let me bathe in the blissful sanity of this forum. :cooldude:

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Remain. I've been in the remain camp since this whole palaver started and I'm remaining in the remain camp (see what I did there?). :D

My wife, on the other hand, was remain for a while and then went very decisively to leave, but now she's undecided.

I read somewhere earlier this week that public opinion polls should be ingored (for various reasons), and instead we should look to the bookies for a prediction of the outcome. Odds of 2/7 for remain vs odds of 11/4 for leave sound pretty conclusive to me... let's see if that changes in the next fortnight.