1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Shed buying advice, if you please

Discussion in 'General' started by Porkins' Wingman, 10 Mar 2017.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I need to try and consolidate two old sheds' worth of 'stuff' into one shed, so am getting a one slightly bigger one. 10'x8' is probably what we're going for, as we only have a small garden and want to gain some back by ditching the two sheds. Needs a double-door. And no, I'm not going to 'build my own' or modify the parts of the old sheds :p

But I don't really know where to start. Online prices seem to vary pretty massively. I don't have a particular budget, but obvs want something that won't rot etc. for as cheap as possible. I don't plan on spending a lot of time in it making things etc. - it's primarily for storage of tools, bikes, paint, lawnmower etc.

So there must be some users here who know a good shed when they see one and where to buy them. Please enlighten.

Thanks.

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

At a guess for a good 10x8 you should be looking in the region of around £800 give or take.
    Forget the bargain prices from your local DIY stores, they wont last two minutes. My current 8x6 shed cost me £600 around 10 year ago and it is still solid, the only thing I have replaced is the roof felt.

Like you I am in the process of buying a newer shed but only because I need more space and I will be paying just under £800 and they deliver and build it :thumb:

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Mine arrives tomorrow. 10' x 8' Pent with a 36" wide door.

I would suggest shiplap tongue and groove rather than overlap and get one with decent thickness boarding, 15-19mm.

The cheap sheds don't usually have the boarding thickness mentioned, but the thinner stuff is much more likely to shrink and crack, which can result in the tongues popping out of the boards above.

I've just bought a roll of breathable membrane to line my shed, to be followed by 30mm polystyrene sheets and plywood sheeting to fully insulate it. Also putting a floating floor in there.

My last shed leaked all over a bunch of my power tools - I lost a compound cross cut saw, Hammer drill, Kango, circ saw, sander and angle grinder.

4. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

5. David

...and they sent one with a standard size door. FFS. :wallbash:

6. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Thanks for the tips all. Still looking for some alternative recommendations of suppliers though.

Those Waltons sheds looked reasonable, Chairboy, but I don't like the idea of having to treat it on installation and then annually after that to maintain the guarantee - that's a bit too 'high-maintenance' for my liking.

David and Mr. Happy - where are you getting yours from?

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Treating it annually would be something I'd advise regardless of warranty anyway, a couple of hours work once per year is not a lot really.

8. David

Mine is from Albany Sheds. It was already treated, but I took the opportunity to treat and stain it while it was in panel form. Just spent £250 on lining and insulation materials.

A somewhat obvious tip: don't wedge it right into the corner of your garden. I left ~ 2ft down the side and back for easy access and future maintenance.