1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics SLI Ribbon Cable Thingy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookie, 1 Apr 2016.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Guys

Just grabbed a couple of GTX460's on the MP and I'm going to play around with SLI for the first time. But I need an SLI cable, are all SLI cables the same? or will I need one for the 400 Series cards?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think I still have a spare SLI ribbon, Pook.

I'll have a look tonight, if you like.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Hey dude. I have a bag full of the sodding things somewhere. They were going to be next in my smalls clearout but I never got around to it and I'm sick ATM.

They are all pretty much the same but vary in length. As a long time SLI user I have them in all sorts of lengths.

I also have them in various colours and designs ranging from EVGA to Asus and so on. When I'm feeling better (next week hopefully) I will get them out and you can have first refusal. I know I bought a pair of super long ones that cost me about a tenner each, this will give you more flexibility in choosing slots to run the cards in..

But yeah, take one for now because I really don't know how long it will be before I can get to the post office.

4. Pookie

Well by chance I have found one sealed in a box of crap in our workshop, it fits on the cards ok so I guess it should be ok? My question really was are all SLI cables the same? or are there different cables for different generations of cards?

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Fairly certain they are all the same. You can buy a fancy bridge that a few board partners produce, but they are just gimmicks and do nothing for performance, even if the advertising suggests that they do :sigh:

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They are the same in terms of connectors/pins yes.

7. Pookie

Thanks guys :thumb:

8. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Yeah definatley all the same. I last ran SLI with a couple of nvidia 6800 GT's - and then agai more recently when I got another GTX660 - from what I can tell there is no difference in them at all.

When I was looking on eBay there were these fancy things for like £30 or so, or a flexi SLI bridge cable for 99p that did the same job - you can guess what I opted for.