1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Scythe Fenris Wolf

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/01/28/scythe-fenris-wolf-review/1

Usually a company more associated with heatsinks than chassis, Scythe has just released the ultra silent Fenris Wolf. With all aluminium construction and a whisper quiet cooling system, can the Fenris Wolf prove a worthy entry into the enthusiast case market? Read on to find out!

:worried:

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ahhah that side panel reminds me of some cheap-ass case I had... I figured it wasn't worth even selling and decided to dump it.

At this stage I found out that I could bare-handedly fold the side panels twice in half. Handy, fits in a normal dust bin.

Nice review, less nice case.

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I had such a case 21 years ago....

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks like a sturdy case despite its flaws. I like the drive bays lol.

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I can't seem to find the case dimensions stated anywhere in the review. Am I missing something?

Also, on page 4 (Testing and Results) "someone" was a bit too quick reusing the text from the Lian-Li PC888 review... :p

Shame about the case, by the way. I really need to replace my Lian-Li PC61 as I just can't get it to be quiet. The Antec P182 is my first choice at the moment, but the door opens to the wrong side, it's heavy and I already sense the loss of a removable motherboard tray (like the PC61 has).

6. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

It does look good in my opinion, also it's a good thing to see they used quality fans and that it is quiet.
    But, a 130£ case with the easy bend panels of a 40£ case? meh.. not my thing.
    What worries me most though is the quality of the door hinges, those will be subject to a lot of abuse during regular useage, so why would any case manufacturer cut corners there? It just doesn't make sense, go save elsewhere please.
    About the HDD mounting, they should have copied lian li, nothing beeats their easy to attach screws with rubber to silence the hdd then just slide it in.

I don't mind paying a lot for a case, but if I end up doing so I do expect a lot from it.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Tee hee, that made me giggle too.

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

At least I know some people read every word! :D

10. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I've got a P180, but I'm always on the lookout for the next improvement. But I haven't seen a single case to beat it in terms or noise, space, build quality, cooling and cost (apart from the P182!).

I wondered if the Fenris Wolf was the spritual successor to my case, but no... another pretender to the throne falls by the wayside.

From a hobbyists point of view, it's a shame I've got nothing to aspire to; from the wife's point of view, it's reassuring that there is one less thing to blow some money on. For now, at least.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

So far 19 cases tested and I've always returned back to my modified P180B at the end of the day :p Now the poor P180 is again under some modding to fit some new goodies.

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Now I fully appreciate that there are horses for courses and cases for... er... computers, but it's the names that get me? "Scythe Fenris Wolf?" Sounds like an anime bad guy with Ming the Merciless eyebrows. It's a bloody BOX.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

honestly overall it really isnt that bad of a case but just not something I would be interested in.

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Not a bad case if it was 40 euro. Where it suppose to fit in the price range of the, for example, Coolermaster Centurion

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I had a P180 but there's no way I'd be able to fit five hard drives and a GTX260 in it. The 8800GTX I had whilst I had a P180 was a tight enough fit!

The Coolermaster Cosmos that has replaced it is nearly as good. There's a lot more space, which is a major plus. It lacks a little of the internal refinement of the P180, but works just as well.

Tags: Add Tags