1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Dragon Reborn [25/09/12]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Xye, 25 Feb 2012.

1. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

INTRODUCTION

This is my first mod in a while, So I'm a bit rusty on writing decent project logs. This mod has been in the design stage for a long time, but now I'm finally ready, well, almost.

The plan is to make a computer to replace an old dvd player which no longer works.

One thing I must say before continuing with this log is to mention the title.... or rather the lack of a title, At the minute I am unsure what to call it

HARDWARE:

What is going to be involved in the mod?

The case will be a custom made plastic construction to contain all the hardware and will be no bigger than a VHS/DVD/Freeview box.

The hardware going into the case will be as follows:

• Asus E35M1 - I Deluxe
    • PNY 4GB Ram Stick
    • Sony Slimline Slot load DVD
    • Migrus C4 DC Converter (PSU)
    • Intel SSD 320 Series (40Gb)
    • Seagate 2Tb HDD

I am also going to be doing things which I have never done before. First of which, I shall be sleeving what little of the cabling there is. Secondly I've never actually made a fully scratch built case before so to help me with this I have my own small CNC machine to make the cuts precisely in the right place.

Log Updates​

[01] 25/02/12 Test run of parts on CNC machine
    [02] 26/02/12 First attempt cutting Plastic
    [03] 18/07/12 Different tool paths
    [04] 23/08/12 Second attempt at cutting the side panels
    [05] 26/08/12 A sticky issue
    [06] 27/08/12 First impressions
    [07] 30/08/12 Construction Methods
    [08] 01/09/12 Tap Tap Tap
    [09] 10/09/12 Back panel, detail work, and bending issues
    [10] 12/09/12 Second Bending attempt
    [11] 13/09/12 Third Bending attempt
    [12] 26/09/12 Test fit and PSU issues

[1] Test run of parts on CNC machine

I admit to some trepidation to putting some nice shiny plastic under the cutting tool.

So this morning I Chickened out and put a large piece of MDF in instead.

At first it doesn't look too bad witht he burring of the wood around the edges:
    [​IMG]

Only when you get up close does it look kind of ragged, of course allowances must be made because its cutting MDF not plastic here.
    [​IMG]

Weirdly on the second piece the edges look much better:
    [​IMG]

This most likely means the tool path was slightly different leaving a better finish on the second piece. I shall have to investigate this further.

Thanks for looking.

Addendum: for those of you who caught my first mod Condensation (linked in my Sig) This build is still alive and kicking and running the CNC that will make its Progeny:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Sep 2012
  2. bond0071993

bond0071993 What's a Dremel?

look forward to see more :thumb:

3. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Bit the bullet this morning. This is the piece ready to go:
    [​IMG]

Plastic is significantly more messy than wood to cut. Wood just forms little piles of dust. Plastic flicks everywhere:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: for update

The last part ot the cutout just happened to be on the curve at the from of the device. Sadly this is where it decided that the breakoff point would be causing it to break ...
    [​IMG]

Sadly I only bought enough to do the two sides. so for now I'll have to live with it :(

Last edited: 26 Feb 2012
  4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

DUDE! Blue tape the back and glue that mo'fo' to the MDF. No slippage. No clamping loss.:thumb:

Something's not right there anyway. You should be getting clean edges even with MDF.

5. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Good idea.

I know somethings not right :(. I'm trying to use Cut3D, but to be honest its not working out very well with the standard cutting sequences.

I downloaded the free version of CAMBAM but have yet to fire that up.

Then again it is quite a simple design I could just write out the G-Code line by line.

Also It looks like my machine is slightly crooked in one axis....

6. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Small thread resurrection now that I have some time to finally finish this project.

I've had to order some more plastic as the first cut went so wrong. I think the problem was teh program I used to try and generate cutter paths.

This is the program I was using:
    [​IMG]

This is me doing it manually:
    [​IMG]

I've yet to test it on anything other than a simulator but it should be faster and cleaner.

Hopefully updates will occur soon.

7. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Erm...that is a horribly coded toolpath in the program (fault of the program, not you). It should be doing circles and arcs, not lines. That's why the MDF looked like hell. You need to find some way to get the program to not select a one way or zig-zag pattern.

What program are you using? I can only help with MasterCAM.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2012
  8. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

looks interesting, wheel of time fan or just random name for it? :D

"For he shall come like the breaking dawn, and shatter the world again with his coming, and make it anew."

9. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

I was using Cut3D from Vectric but I think its more suited to freeform carving of parts rather than cutting holes and circles into sheets of material.

I'm not familiar with MasterCAM, Though looking at it it can be added onto Solidworks which is good as thats what I've been using to draw up parts.

What kind of experience do you have with MasterCam?

I perhaps use the name wrongly as AMD's Dragon platform was the Phenom and HD4800 platform rather than the Zacate system used here....

But anyway yes I am a big fan of the Wheel of Time series and was reading "Towers of Midnight" when I was planning this

10. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Take a look at the project in my signature. Extensive experience with MasterCAM :D. I haven't used the SolidWorks add-in (I do all of my modeling in SolidWorks as well)...I've always found it to be easier if I import directly in the CAM program.

Your 'manual' attempt at coding the toolpath is what the program should have done in the first place. Kudos!

11. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

So I've been fighting with my CNC again today to try and redo the side panels.

Used the suggested method of double sided tape. It worked great for the first one however part way through the second it let go. Fortunately I heard it make and odd noise and went running.

I will have to see if I can salvage the damaged one.

[​IMG]

EDIT:

Turned over the piece to find this:
    [​IMG]

Hole right through...

I'm going to have to use the original piece I made I think. Just hope it doesn't show through too much.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2012
  12. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

OK so I have a small issue. Jut finished machining the midplate section. After teh incident with the double sided tape failing with the previous part I decided to use more.... Problem is I now can't get the damn thing off the board....:

[​IMG]

13. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Ok so I slept on the problem and found that if I was very careful and took my time, rather like using wedges to split a tree trunk I could peel the part off it backing rather than trying to unstick the tape.

And now for the first time I can get a real understanding of how this thing is going to look:

[​IMG]

Still a lot to do though.

14. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Don't you just hate when you've written a long post ready to submit but then you crash and its all lost.....

Well today I've been looking at different ways to fix this together.

Glue is too permanent, I want to be able to de-construct and re-construct easily. I found some brass threaded inserts however getting them in was extremely difficult and the screws kept breaking off inside them. So my current plan is to tap the plastic and be careful....

[​IMG]

EDIT: I have thought about gluing the bolt heads into the panels but I'm not entirely confident about that.

15. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Another small update. I've drilled and tapped the sides to a suitable depth. Only had a small incident where I didn't check where the screw would fall so its actually blocking a couple of the holes, again hopefully it won't be noticeable from outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to come together pretty well I think... Just the tricky bit left now though...

16. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Slightly larger update on the way now.

I've managed to complete the rear panel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the front silhouette I broke out my 1mm Mill bit to do the intricate detailed work.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to need a mold to make this curve the right size though so I've also had to make one:
    [​IMG]

The silhouette plate fits perfectly!
    [​IMG]

Clamped and ready to
    [​IMG]

One small issue though. Using a heat gun I can't get it to bend and stay bent so I'm in the process of making a small mold piece to try and clamp the end while it cools.

17. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

Put it in the oven @ 180'C for a few minutes, then take it out and lay it on the mould and leave it to cool and harden, i find it best to handle the floppy acrylic hot out of the oven with regular cleaning micro fiber cloths, no fingerprints, no dust, no marks and no burnt fingers.
    You can even hold it in place using your hands with the micro fiber cloths to make sure it stays to form whilst cooling.

18. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Thanks Stem.

I seem to have got a slightly different kind of plastic I put it in the oven at 250 and it was still like rubber... The only way I'm going ot get this to stick in position is by clamping it between two molds I think

19. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

:idea:
    if you have any more trouble w/ cnc, try getting a :duh: of solidworks. friend of mine had a similair problem with his cnc, but it dissapeared when he upped his software to solidworks. :worried:

Last edited: 13 Sep 2012
  20. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Swiftly moving on.....

Here is the latest attempt:

[​IMG]
    fortunately if I re heat it, it goes back to its original shape. Or perhaps thats not so fortunate, we shall see in an hour or so once its cooled off