1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Investigatory Powers Bill gains royal assent, becomes law

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Nov 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's amazing the authoritarian powers you can get people to accept under the guise of the bogey man, sadly the snoopers charter is only ever going to catch the innocent and incompetent, and there's many other way to catch incompetent criminals than creating a surveillance state.

It's very upsetting to know the UK is now seen as the yard stick for despot dictators to follow. :waah:

3. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I'm so glad the government again proves how important the safety of me and my family are to them. I just hope they do more so I can be safe 24/7 under their ever watchful eye. Whenever I'm away from their omnipresence i feel scared.

4. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Do wonder about the electorates sometimes, she got her wish and she's popular still. There's a sad repeat again, we're now the most watched nation in Europe and we now have our ICRs accessed by DWP to the Gambling Commission.

5. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

She's only popular because there is absolutely no credible opposition!

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The so called opposition initially voted in favor of the bill on the proviso that amendments would be made at a later date, in the end they got lost in a navel gazing exercises and didn't (afaik) submit a single amendment, they just waved it on through.

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I'll be VPN shopping this weekend, then. Any recommendations anyone?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

AirVPN. High security, loads of endpoints, no logging guaranteed, high throughput - I'm currently connected to one of the UK endpoints and getting about 57Mb/s from my 60Mb/s connection - and port forwarding as standard. It's OpenVPN-based, so works with absolutely any device you care to name. I've been with 'em for about three years now, and not had a single complaint in that time.

Fizzban likes this.
  9. AiA

AiA Minimodder

I second recommend airvpn, no real issues.

They have a free trial, you have to ask them for it and then will give it to you, which is nice.

There are some comparisons and reviews online. (torrentfreak for example have a detailed comparison of vpns)

10. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the recommendation

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm just waiting for the first huge data breach, when an entire ISP's customer base browsing habbits are exposed. It will be inetresting to see the reponse of all the 'I've got nothing to hide' brigade then.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Oh yes, it will happen eventually and probably not through some sophisticated hack but some inept person along the line. Somoene leaves a laptop with a cached subsection of the log on a train, someone's password was "password", someone prints a load of entries and gets photographed by a news paper holding them in their arms. The list of groups with access privileges are almost exclusively non-technical literate bodies. The higher up you go in these organisations, the older they are, the less technically literate they are and the more likely they are to have acess to the records

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And it will probably only be a matter of time until government mandated backdoors in encryption are discovered by some nefarious character.

On the good side though we'll not have to worry about data breaches anymore, what with it becoming an offense to talk about those, well unless you know it wasn't the government that's done it.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

You're now on a list for those Gareth, on the bonus side it seems like everyone is on it too :hehe:

15. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Once they've got the terrorists, they'll go after the face-sitters.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Nah they'll go after all those people using VPN's as their bound to be up to no good, after all if you're not doing anything wrong you should have nothing to hide, just like our MPs. ;)

Either that or they'll go after all those curtain sellers, i mean people trying to hide behind curtains could be up to all sorts. :D

17. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Don't joke about it, I can see VPN's being next on the list.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

VPN's will be like public Wi-Fi and remain off limits, just like our MPs terrorists and serious criminals don't know what those are, we're spending anything between £174m to £1 billion over ten years because they don't know about them so we best not tip them off. :worried:

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

174 million over 10 years seems really really cheap. In my mind that sort of infrastructure would cost that in a single year to maintain. Maybe I'm way off.

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This is my thought too, in the eye of those looking - those actively trying to hide stuff are considered to the ones with stuff worth hiding.

Most of the people on here probably fit into this category anyway -

[​IMG]