1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Windows 8: Performance Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Unfortunately being generally slower all round than windows 7 means I will be avoiding this, unless BT think the speed issues will be fixed with some patches ? Sadly I will have to by 3 upgrade copies for friends and family because they have recently moved to SSD's and are still on XP, so need the newer OS's features.

3. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

I think ill be sticking with windows 7 on my desktop since I do my gaming on that and wouldnt want to think the OS was holding back to system, but I do think I will be picking up Windows 8 to go on my Inspiron Duo touchscreen laptop. I think as the article said, its only really the touchscreen features that make this appealing over Windows 7

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

i got the beta version just to show ppl how crap it is.

5. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

Crysis 2 not running is the most disturbing result reported here. If many other apps and games also don't run, it's a showstopper - and most apps run on PCs are not available to the public, they are produced by internal IT departments in companies, MS can't test for them all, they must simply be very conservative with breaking changes.

The people most sanguine about the new start menu replacement are those who type to find what they want to launch. I'm not one of them; I work by spatial memory, I often can't remember names of apps, and rely on categorization and position to find them. I have a terminal for apps I start by name. A huge 2D dump like Metro isn't what I need; I replaced Windows 7's menu with a Windows XP-like version using ClassicShell, but I don't use the Programs menu, instead I have folders like Games, Development, etc. where applications would get pinned if that feature was enabled. All in all, it's like early 2000s Linux start menus, and it's what works for me. But I expect ClassicShell will still work with Windows 8.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

crisis 2 will run if you change the directx mode

edit, steam have patched my version, and it now works without changing directx mode

Last edited: 26 Oct 2012
  7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There is always a hit with a new OS, typically it catches up.

Would of been interesting to see Vista in that review as I know quite a few people still on Vista who are happy and thinking of skipping 7 for 8.

8. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Thanks. In *your opinion* 'it's crap', and you obviously can't wait to try and slant the opinion of others. Nice.

I've been using it since the RTM, and it's not crap. IMO.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Only £25 to upgrade your system, and slow it down a little bit. Bargain! :hehe:

I think I'll wait for a while, let them patch it up, and then not buy it.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

25quid to upgrade and free media player too, worth buying if you have not moved to 7 etc I am sure.

11. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Windows 7 will more than suffice for the next few years, for me anyway.

12. Griffter

where is that entire line do i oppress the opinions of others?
    every comment here is ppls own opinion, adding IMO does not then only make it so.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

As expected on a new OS, really. Still a lot of tweaking to do.
    Hopefully it will evolve to reach at least the same performance as W7, if not a bit more.
    Whoever has an old XP or Vista license can still take advantage of the upgrade reduced launch price without losing W7.

14. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

I've upgraded to Windows 8 pro and been running it for a few days now. I haven't noticed any performance hits over win7. Game frame rates seem to be similar to what I can remember. During my general daily usage, I would say that win8 is lighter than 7, it's reduced ram usage by upto a gig in my case.

I do agree with the point about finding a shutdown button... I find the easiest way is to alt+f4 on the desktop. Also, an issue I have experience that isn't mentioned here is connecting to network shared files. It finds the computer on the network, you try to open it and gives you a "The network path was not found" error. Then, try a few mins later and it will work. Not sure if that is just me though.

My biggest gripe at the moment though, is my phone drivers don't support windows 8 so I can't manage my phone storage in the traditional way :( (a word of warning for any HTC users with phones that mount in mtp)...

15. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Well that silences all the people harping on about increased performance. If that had been the case i probably would have reluctantly moved over to 8, but its seems its not. No upgrade for me. Well for just now anyway, one can assume it will only get better.....

16. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

So the only thing it currently excels at is shutting down? Wow.

17. Griffter

im concerned with the only one spot for each type... images, files etc. i like my own folders, i have never used the pictures and movies folder windows gives. and u cant do anything in win8. u have to switch to win8 "old desktop look" to create folders and manage then. or to even go through them. why would u take that part away from users in win8??
    on top of that. win8 wont see those pics, u must agin go to the old desktop and add it from there to be seen in win8 images block.

search... u cant search to pc and do something else while its running. once u exit the seach full screen window, it stops. win8 is stopping me from doing proper ummm... computing!

18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

That made me have a good hearty laugh !

19. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

20. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

It's nothing but a solution to a non existent problem.

Tags: Add Tags