1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How to Remove/unclip a SATA Cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dark Matter, 2 May 2010.

1. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

How do I remove/unclip a SATA Cable From my motherboard or an HDD?

I didn't want to do this without checking first, I know "carefully" but is there a specific technique or part of the connector that is pressed?

2. mkb

mkb Minimodder

just pull it off if it doesnt have a clip, if it does press the clip mechanism down and remove it :)

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

if it is one with a clip, hold the clip release down and pull. If it doesn't have a clip, just pull.

They should come out pretty easily :)

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Before you get flamed for this, I'll alswer the question for you.

There are two types of SATA connector, a locking type and a non-locking type. The locking connectors have a small metal clip on the top of the connector itself. If it's one of these, you need to press the clip down and pull the connector straight out. Like I said, the clip is attached to the connector on the cable itself, so that comes with the connector when you pull it. Don't frek out and think you've broken it because you assumed the metal part was connected to the motherboard or hard drive!

If the connector does not have a metal clip on it, then you just need to pull it straight out of the board or hard drive. They just "click" into place, and only go in or come out one way, so don't be afraid of it... just pull it out straight and gently.

[edit]

Ninja'd :duh:

5. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Unless you have a latching cable, you just pull it off the connector. Sata is supposed to be hot swappable, but personally I'd rather turn the power off first.

6. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Took too long to type, obviously, as there were no replies when I started! lol

7. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

Thanks for the answers :thumb:

Case closed :D