1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Gtx 480 waterblock thermal pads

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdigital, 26 May 2012.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Hey all, im about to re do the waterblock on my gtx 480 including putting all new pads on it.

My question is what pads do you like to use for gpu waterblocks? And what thickness.

Ive used basic 1mm stuff in the past but wondered what others use and why.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I find that most cards need a mix of 1 mm and 0.5 mm, depending on the height of the various chips and the block or heatsink itself. If pads that are too thick are used, it can cause slight bowing of the card, which I believe can affect it's life. Certainy thinner pads where appropriate will transfer heat slightly quicker :)

4. bdigital

Decided to keep it until october :) but i am doing a number of other improvements to the sig rig.

Hmmm maybe il get mix of 2 then.

Any others?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Good advice, I had only 1mm pads to try on an 8800GT and it's bowed on one side.

I'll be replacing them pronto with 0.5mm! :thumb:

6. bdigital

Cheers guys. What do you use to clean your blocks out? Mine isnt tooooo bad but i want to clean it up anyway

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I literally took my block apart because there was hints of corrosion and it was really bad. Took a screwdriver to clear the channels above the GPU part of the block! Although this is an extreme situation!

Rinse under warm water if you literally strip the block down and then use a little isopropanol to lift moisture. I swear by silicone grease around the edges of a block and most recently to make the deteriorating rubber on a DangerDen IONE more supple. Always worked very well for me. Not necessary but it does indeed add a little extra water proofing as a fail safe should the rubber give at any point!

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I changed the pads on a couple of 580 blocks recently and they used 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5mm. I also am a firm believer in using silicone grease to protect o rings and it sometimes helps to hold larger o rings in place when refitting them. If it's an EK block you should be able to find the installation instructions on EK's site.

I either connect a block to a spare pump to flush it or if it's bad connect it directly to a tap. If it's a discoloured nickel plated block you can use a metal polish like brasso and cotton buds (but not Autosol) to gently clean it up. I don't usually bother cleaning oxidation from copper blocks but lemon juice with salt dissolved in it for about an hour is usually enough.