1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cooling an epia v800

Discussion in 'Modding' started by parag0n, 15 May 2006.

1. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

Ok, for Project Skade I have a problem. I wanted the computer to be completely silent, but theres a nasty little whirry 40mm CPU fan on the processor, which needs replacing. I have a silent 120mm fan thats going to make up most of the back of the case, but dont think that the heatsink on the processor will be big enough when i take off the fan to cool the processor sufficiently. My first thought was to stick on a big heatsink from an athlon or something, but once i checked, i noticed the following problem:
    [​IMG]
    d´oh :wallbash: caps EVERYWHERE.

So i´m now thinking a northbridge cooler would work, does anyone know of a northbridge cooler that uses the standard attachments, is silent, and less than 3cm tall? Preferably for under 30 quid ;)

Parag0n

2. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

the large zalman northbridge cooler works on that cpu many people have done it. With good case airflow you should have no problem. if the zalman doesnt suit you there are many aftermarket northbridge coolers that fit very good.

3. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

when i built my dads computer around an m10000 1ghz i just took off the 40mm fan and had it cooled with the single 120mm case fan no problems at all with it, admitidly the 120mm is directly over the heatsink.

Moriquendi

Edit: a couple of months ago i replaced the m10000 with the dual processer vt-310dp again with the one 120mm fan, they get pretty warm but still run without problems

Last edited: 15 May 2006
  4. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Just cut the heatsink, but try to get a tall one and with as many fins as possible.

I had the same problem, and wanted the same as you, so I just got a socket A heatsink and just cut away some parts of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Or, you could de- and re-solder the caps onto the back of the board. I'm sure I've seen it done on a mod here.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I must confirm LoneArchon's idea of using the larger Zalman n/b heatsink (the blue one on this page).

I have done this myself and it does a remarkably good job of passively cooling my MII 12000 HTPC mobo. :hip:

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Blue zalman chipset cooler for sure. One sits atop my MII-10000's chip, no problems. It'll get a bit on the warm side if it's under load (it almost never is) but never worrying. The case has a single 60mm fan on a zalman fan controller set as low as it goes, and has the hard drive set to spin down after three minutes. Unless my ear is literally half an inch from the fan, I can't ever hear it.

Best of all, it costs about eight bucks.

8. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, just bought one off ebay for £5 inc p&p :)

Fingers crossed it'll arrive soon, so i can finally quieten it down!