1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony explains PSone emulation problems

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Feb 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Interesting I guess, but not entirely surprising...

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Good points, shows they want to release bug-free versions.

Shame FFVIII slipped through the next, that one randomly crashes my PSP, and is the only PSone game I got off the PSN to do so :(

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I have to laugh at this claim when I see (and enjoy) the fantastic efforts by amateur emulation coders.
    At least it suggests that Sony aren't stealing code from emu projects.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2011
  5. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

I'm more upset at having to remap the controls so I can boost my summons properly.

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Deal with it is what I say, look at the state of emulators these days, you can even play loads of wii games at whatever res you desire. If non professional coders can create great emulators so should sony be able to.

7. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I can understand the lagalities etc, and tracking down developers that have gone under would be quite a difficult task, but seeing the high rate of success from fan-made emulators makes me question why they find it such a hard task to get it right? I play all my old PSone games on an emulator and I'm yet to find a single one that I can't play through to its conclusion due to any of the above mentioned 'bugs' they experience.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

fan made emulators run on the old ps code ( BIOS ) and on pcs that have most of the original extensions anyway they were not designed for a cell process that has 10 threads the psone had an 86mhz core from what i remember

psp and ps3 don't support the old Bios hence the game needs to be converted and that conversion process I doubt always goes well

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

ill stick to my PC emulator version thanks it works

10. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

^this. why the hell does the PSP and by extension the NGP have only two shoulder buttons? I understand there's space constraints but it would have made game ports significantly easier!

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that's just incompetent emulator that has memory leaks. find some competent programmer to sort it out.

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Tried the original wipeout on my PS3 a week or two back, music didn't work at all - which was strange as the music on the wipeout disc can be played through a normal CD player.

13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

My PSP slim and light is running custom firmware and will happily emulate quite a few old psone games with no fuss. Maybe they should hire the guys who made that possible.

14. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Securing the rights for an old game can be a problem, but new bugs? WTF? Sounds like emulator has problems not the games.

15. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

Then maybe they should try it the other way since it seems to work quite nicely. Looks like they're being beaten at their own game by amateur coders... (rim shot)

16. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I think some people are forgetting that emulation in the sense of the way Sony and MS do for software is not the same as the amateur coders. Each game is ported and reworked in a way that the PS3/PSP recognizes and launches it. That emulation isn't using a PSX Emulator to do so as we do on our PCs. Also it's much easier for the amateurs because as another posted stated, their emulators run off the original PSX BIOS and simplly requires the ISO of said game to launch. If sony were to simply choose to release their bare base emulator pre-loaded with the original BIOS I'm sure that would work, but Sony could find itself in a ****storm of legal troubles because at that point, it's just a matter of us consumers finding original ISO's transferring them to our PS3's and launching the games.

17. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Erm...so how has Nintendo been so successful with emulating...well, everything?

18. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I really wish they would add some more big hit titles to the PSN under the PS1 section. There is a pretty big selection but it's still missing some classics, Tomba! comes to mind. It's sad to hear that it takes so much effort to try and get the ports up there for download but I've yet to buy a game and have it act improperly on either my PS3 or my PSP-3000 series so someone must be doing their job properly at sony. I'd be interested to see what games are gonna come out on the PSP-2 but since it is lacking a UMD drive and I have quite a few UMD games, I don't think I'm going to be picking one up anytime soon. They would have to have some KILLER games on that new system for me to even think about it.

19. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

I want to have a look at what games were available on the PlayStation store, but you have to have media go installed just to view them, at least m$ let you browse everything on there website.

20. Penfolduk01

Penfolduk01 What's a Dremel?

Maybe I'm being naive. But if Sony had 100% PSOne emulation, there would be no need for all these months of poncing around. Sounds like they've deliberately put barriers up so they can flog PS2 and PS3 games. Which they probably make more money on.

Tags: Add Tags