1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ASPHIAX, 8 Feb 2011.

1. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hello Everyone,

Allow me to introduce myself shortly. My name is ASPHIAX and I live in Boxtel (Netherlands). Just turned 33 and have been occupied with computers from the age of 17. (making noise - dont have another word for it - with fasttracker and fruitloops :rock:)
    Started out wayback with an MSX and Commodore 64 and lately ventured into watercooling and have been HOOKED ON IT EVER SINCE!!!
    What do i do when i am not thinking about modding: I am a business consultant at Belgacom and am designing VoIP and Unified Communications networks for the enterprise customers.

It all started about 3 months ago. After extensive reading on the fora (this one being a favorite!) I started out with my first watercooling project. A Dragonlord K62 with an XSPC 750H2O kit, couple of fans and an additional radiator. All good fun but it soon wasnt enough any more and i found myself cutting into my case with power tools and bending plexiglas with my wife's hairdryer. (which actually doesnt work, lol) I can post some pics of it, just a nice complete pc.

I needed something bigger ... One night i was cruising the web looking for something fun to build when the scifi channel caught my attention. It was the start tune of Star Trek Voyager ! The same second i was thrown 15 years back into time and saw myself (after a intense night of clubbing, still buzzing of the dutch national product) watching Star Trek.
    Knew it in a heart beat :clap:

So here it is : the USS Eurisko , Intrepid Mark II Class

[​IMG]

Technical Data :
    Class: Intrepid Mark II
    Type: Scientific exploration, general bad-ass
    Crew: 141
    Length: 344 meter
    Hight: 66 meter
    Width: 133 meter
    Decks: 15
    Holodecks: 2
    Mass: 702.000 metrische ton
    Max Speed: warp 9.975
    Sustained Max Warp: Warp 9.985, 1 hour.
    Cruisingspeed: warp 8
    Cargo Holds: 4
    Shuttle Platforms: 1
    Armament: 8 Type X Phaser arrays,
    4 Photon Torpedo Launchers (Stock 150)

After some serious digging on the web i found these designs. I just cant give enough credit to whoever made them (partly because i dont know :eyebrow:) but: MAN isnt she pretty ...
    I always found the original design form the serie a little to toy-like with all the markings and windows. This isnt! This is Rough, Industrial, Bad-ass!

Voyager-Angry --- Must kill Borg !!!

Man I'm itching to start this build ...

[​IMG]

Let me try to explain what i want to do.
    I will be building the frame out of MDF. Easy to manipulate and cheap. Was thinking of building it out of plexiglas but that is going to be way expensive and a good thermofolding device (sorry dont know the english word for it) is also expensive and hard to find a second hand one.
    Wood is better for now.

I will mount my current Q6600 CPU, Gigabyte EP45 MoBo and Platinum XTC 1066 RAM on top of the baseplate (see pics for more clarification)

2 HDD's will be mounted in the nose section and to supply the airflow for the mobo and the hdd's, the top and bottom sections of the saucer (where the blue dots are) will be drilled and covered with a hex mesh. A (or more) Blue CCFL's will supply a blue-ish glow making the whole looking more agressive, like the led strips over the headlights of the new AUDI's.

The main deflector dish will be supplied with a 12 or 14 CM blue led fan immediately followed by the PSU. Behind the PSU a 240 RAD (rather a 360 but that is dependant on the available space) blowing the warm air directly out of the ship by means of fanholes with hex mesh

I am going to try to follow the designs as closely as possible and the "Dilithium Cooling Intake Manifolds" (blue dotted drilled holes in top and bottom) and the "Main Deflector Aft Target Array" (fanholes for the 360 radiator) will hopefully be the only big deviations.

I dont have a planned location for the pump, so that's "Pending Starfleet Approval"

The warp nacelles will be fitted with custom reservoirs with blue coolant. I am currently working with one of my potential sponsors for the res's.
    The whole Pylons (including the warp nacelles) will be fitted with small electromotors that will be capable of making the ship warp ready (even though the Ablative armor would probably not allow it in the "real" world) But that is future work. Gotta leave some challenges right ...

As this is a Mid-Ship MotherBoard setup (heard that one before?), all the internal connections like VGA, HDMI, GB-Lan, Audio, USB ports will have to be extended to possibly the backside of the ship. I want it to be as clean as possible with absolutely no cables over the hull.

The top "canope" must be able to be removed easily to get to the internal harware setup for easy reconfig or placing new gfx cards.

When the frame is ready it is meant to be covered with a thick layer of foam. That needs to be sanded as per original design and i am going to engrave the armor plating. (looking forward to that job , NOT!)
    The whole thing is going to be airbrushed with the help of a good friend and per original design colour scheme.

Well i wanted something bigger and this is a big as it is going to get. With a dimensions of 154cm (L) 60 cm (W) and 35 CM(H) it really is as big as its going to get!

This will keep me busy for quite some time!

I already did some work, here are the first updates,

Later !

ASPHIAX

With pride I can announce my first sponsors! These are :

[​IMG]

Brink of Modding eill be making the 2 custom coolant reservoirs for the EURISKO Warp Nacelles.

Also I am proud to announce my second sponsor! This is :

[​IMG]

Gigabyte has fitted the EURISKO with a beautifull motherboard, the P67A-UD7!

And here is my third sponsor! This is:

[​IMG]

Highflow is the premiere dutch watercooling supplier and will help me keep the EURISKO as cool as possible and thus make us breach the WARP 10 barriere!

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  2. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Here are some highlights of the Build !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Current build 2001 - A Case Modyssey - Buildlog here : 2001

Last edited: 1 Jan 2012
  3. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Story So Far ...

Ok , here is the story so far.
    After a couple of weeks of brainstaorming, making sketches, how wil it fit, what do I need, What will be the Dimensions, etc , it was time to get busy.
    Luckely I have a huge whiteboard in my house where (enjoying a beer) i could draw and think visually.
    Lets get some wood !

Little memory helper !
    [​IMG]

Rough sketch, but hey it will all be covered in foam right ...
    [​IMG]

The dimensions of the motherboard and the height restrictions in particular was driving me mad! I needed to take in account not only the hight of the Graka (dutch slang for GFX card) but the width of the MoBo (MOtherBOard) but also the tubing for the watercooling (WC), waterblock for the CPU, etc. So i made a mold (is that the correct term?) that would allow me to easily test out locations, moving it around the baseplate. Works beautifully !

[​IMG] `
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next day. Put a rim onto the baseplat that will allow me to build the removable canope so i can access the hardware when it is finished. no idea how this will look when it is covered in foam.
    [​IMG]

The start of the framework, made easy by the mold !
    [​IMG]

Gotta make sure its stable enough for the foam and trasnportation. also a good indication of where the HDD's are going to be mounted.
    [​IMG]

What the idea here is to put foam on top of the framework where all the wood comes together, so i built a case to keep it stable.
    [​IMG]
    The First plating. Was a hell of a job to get the correct angle en I am still not satisfied. It looks to high. The slits at the bottom are going to be used for the foam to reach both sides, making it more stable.
    [​IMG]

The angle is off i think, kust cant put my finger on it whats wrong ...
    [​IMG]

The curvature is nice though
    [​IMG]

Ande the final state, just slammed some pieces of wood together to get an impression on the tail. this will be replaced by something else.
    [​IMG]

So far for this weekend !

later
    Asphiax

4. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Ok, so i got another couple of hours of work done.
    This will show the Deflector Tunnel houding the PSU and the 360 RAD.
    I need a smaller PSU , that's for sure ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the tail bent inwards a little
    [​IMG]

she's got a fat ass !
    [​IMG]

So lets do some trimming
    [​IMG]

And some more trimming
    [​IMG]

the "Other side of the wormhole Quark!"
    [​IMG]

Sorry wrong series :duh: !

Laterz
    ASPHIAX

5. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Airflow ...

Here are a couple of pics on the airflow .
    Please note i am not a graphical designer, i do not have any 3d skill (Download Direct2Brain anyone?)
    These are the "Dilithium Cooling Intake Manifolds" on the top, the bottom will have something similar. The HDD's will be mounted over the bottom intake manifolds so they will get some cooling also. The whole intake of air is also pushed over the motherboard by a large fan in the first support rib inside the casing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The only thing that is worrying me is the intake in the green circle. a few cm further i am pushing warm air out through 3 x 120MM fans. so there is a possibility of a fedback loop.

Laterz
    ASPHIAX

6. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Back 2 the Drawing Board

Ok, took a step back and redid the whole project in my mind. The dimensions of the ship didn't feel right. there was something off. Everyone who saw her in the flesh immedaitely said so. To high, sides to steep, nose to short compared to the width. Back to the drawing board it is.

Width versus high calculated where the hight was the known. Length and depth calculations with the outcome. Redid the ellipse of the saucer compared to the length of the tail.
    And guess what !!! 32(!) CM to short and 9cm less wide than the designs. Messed up the design to model ratio's.
    Slammed on a few pieces of MDF and it looked and felt a lot better! A nice smooth aerodynamic design instead of a large bump on the baseplate.

Only with 154CM length, 63CM width and 32CM hight it is not small anymore. I can see myself moving my pc with a forklifter just to connect a USB cable. This will not do ...

Did a lot of searching, reading, asking questions and i finally settled on a Epoxy/glasfiber body.
    This will ensure the ship is still movable and will give me the strength i need.

Just on a side note: Funny how a build can go from slamming a few pieces of wood together to full model building. (if you want to do it right)

Laterz
    ASPHIAX

Last edited: 9 Mar 2011
  7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I like this. I watch

john

8. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Weekend 3 recap

Ok here is the first recap of the weekend
    My wife is watching Idols or the voice of holland or some crap like that so time for me to do some damage :naughty: !

Restarted the whole build, this time I used styropor foam (also called roofmate)
    [​IMG]

The Old and The New
    [​IMG]

I am fixing everything temporarily with sateh spikes (normally used for the barbecue)
    [​IMG]

Did all the rough work with a powertool
    [​IMG]

For the finer work i bought a styropor cutter. Just a piece of metal wire with 2 AA batteries. Unfortunately it was to fine ...
    [​IMG]

Man what a job !!! :geek:
    There were some times where i really though i was going to quit and forget modding forgood...
    The rough work SUCKS !!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Slowly it is taking shape
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the rough work it is a matter of taking a breadknife and peeling the foam off. Even though it looks annoying, this is the better part of the forming of the model. She's taking shape in front of your eyes and you can get some decent detail in there.
    [​IMG]

The gypsum sanding paper (metal paper with little holes to let the gypsum escape) is degrading fast. There is some fight in this piece of foam
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My wife was intensely happy with me !!!
    [​IMG]

Placed the old deflector tunnel to get an idea of the model.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quickly placed the tail to see how long its gonna be. 1,54 meters is quite a stretch!
    Oh yeah, the black circles are area''s i need to attack with the breadknife
    [​IMG]

Trimming her piece by piece. Tried all sorts of knives, the breadknife still reigns
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Without noticing it, you tend to trim off quite a bit
    [​IMG]

I took some tape and started to place the drawing of the armor plating. Tomorrow i will start cutting away at the deep pieces making sure the drawing will get the proper depth.
    [​IMG]

Laterz
    ASPHIAX

9. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Sunday the 3rd weekend ...

Ok here is another recap

Got up really early in the morning to make some filler
    [​IMG]

I had to make sure with this type of foam to use a cellulose based filler or it would reduce the model to blubber
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the Dutch Guys, it says cellulose based

Nice and smooth
    [​IMG]

I was not happy with the lines of the drawing of the model so i took out the tape and started anew...
    [​IMG]

The result !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, what i wanted to do is to make room for the hex mesh and the "DCIM" air intake holes.
    What I did is I took a stanly knife (dont know is the correct English term?) and I cut out the drawing and with a pointed plyer "plucked" out the foam. This works fast and you can get good accuracy.
    [​IMG]

HMMM : POPCORN !!!
    [​IMG]

Does not take to much time also
    [​IMG]

Finishing it off with a dremel on turbo setting. This also closes the foam (due to the heat) so the epoxy/fiber coat will not get into the model (well that's the theory behind it anyway :eyebrow:)
    [​IMG]

DCIM and large depth of armor finished
    [​IMG]

Both sides finished. I found out that by making a lesser deep cut into the foam with the stanley knife, you would automatically "pluck" less foam and could easily alter the depth.
    [​IMG]

so this side with the armor to dcim barrier already completed
    [​IMG]

DO you feel lucky... punk ?
    [​IMG]

Quickly placed the old deflector tunnel to get a better view of the model
    [​IMG]

Also did the amor plating rims
    [​IMG]

BAD-ASS !!!
    [​IMG]

Not completely happy with the symmetry but its getting along nicely
    [​IMG]

Sometimes i tend to forget i need to build a complete watercooled pc in there aswell :naughty:
    Here is a view with an extremely simple filter but it is kinda like what i want to do
    [​IMG]

Laters
    ASPHIAX

Last edited: 8 Feb 2011
  10. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

The Delta Flyer, maybe an idea for the mouse ?!?
    [​IMG]

11. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Carved a quick little model from the foam, looks kinda nice ...
    [​IMG]

Let me see if i can build a mouse in there.
    The dimensions are off, but this is just a test right
    [​IMG]
    laterz,
    ASPHIAX

12. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Actually went a lot faster than i anticipated ...
    [​IMG]

Those good old sateh spikes ...
    [​IMG]

2 spiks on the mouse buttons !
    [​IMG]

et voila, a custom mouse
    [​IMG]

Now need to build a detailed well proportined model, cover it with fiber, cut out the mouse buttons, glue a small nut on the back of it, glue the spikes on it, connect them to the button hardware, cover the connection with a little spring or something to keep it in place and airbrush it ....
    Nice job for a rainy day sometime, but should be feasible !
    Laterz
    ASPHIAX

13. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Janeway: Lay in acourse mr Paris, warp 10! I want to be in the alpha quadrant before lunch!
    Seven-of-Nine : this is an imperfect ship, it needs alignment, we will not survive!
    B'Elanna : I agree with the drone, we are already at warp 9,9 any faster and we'll allbe dust.
    Janeway: Options mr Kim...
    Kim: litterbox ...
    All : WHAT?
    Kim: Well captain, you have thrown kittens at warp 10 before!
    Janeway: EXCUSE ME !?!
    Paris: Better make it quick, the dilithium reaction is reaching critical mass captain, she's running red hot! Ehh, no pun intended .... mam ...
    Tuvok : logically, a warp-core breach is imminent captain.
    Janeway: Damn it, drop to warp 5 and call those guys at logitech again!

[​IMG]

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Really nice idea and something every Trekkie has thought of quiet possibly at some point :D

Making the body out of fibreglass is probably the best solution for a form like this.

I'll keep watching.

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Trekkie mouse!

16. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Here is some more background to the design

Have to extend all the connections to the back of the ship!
    [​IMG]

Oh no , the borg have taken over the ship !
    Need to swap out the green enermax for a blue one.
    [​IMG]

Here is an overview of the placing of the hardware
    [​IMG]

later
    ASPHIAX

17. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks ! After the fibreglass is finished i will cut out almost all of the foam internally. Just some pieces where it rests on the baseplate will be left. This will serve to better isolate the ship.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Maybe you can hang up the thing to have it flying over your desk in the end... that would be awesome actually :D

19. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

just like those little airplanes there used to be.
    hang them up with a piece of string and they would fly around in circles all day long.
    LOL!

20. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

It's looking good so far, despite the undisputable mathematical fact that The Next Generation is exactly 10^92 times better than Voyager. ;)

I'll be following this, as I'm sure many will.