1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Microsoft blocking updates.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Corky42, 16 Mar 2017.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It was common knowledge that Microsoft, Intel, and AMD said only Windows 10 will support newer generation processors but it seems Microsoft have gone a step further and is blocking updates on Windows 7 and 8 if you've got a Kaby Lake or Ryzen processors.

I understand not offering support for those CPU's on older operating systems but preventing people from updating Windows seems a step to far, thoughts?

2. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Maybe Microsoft are trying to prevent mods like usb support. Do get tutorials on how to install Windows 7 as I am sure you're very aware about it so not going into details.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Trying to prevent mods is a long way away from disabling Windows update on older systems, especially when that includes security updates, yes there are ways around it like using the Windows update catalog or WSUS offline update, to effectively disable Windows update seems not only dangerous but another desperate attempt to force people onto Windows 10.

4. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I agree it's a foolish route to disable the updates, and I know some people that willfully turned off the updates altogether and quite common too, which is probably one of the reasons why Microsoft removed that ability in Windows 10.

Well, Windows 7 is nearly the end of its life and 8.1 dropped like a hot potato. If being there in Microsoft meeting discussing; I supposed it make sense to wipe the older OS away and just have 10 starting with newer processors. At least it'll be simpler, with just one OS drivers, rather drivers going all the way down to Windows 7.

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I can't surely be the only person who is a minority on this, but I really hate Windows 10.

I don't see why MS should block updates in Windows 7 as a lot of businesses and so on are still running it so surely this would leave them up a creak without a paddle if the very update they need is blocked in a bid to get everyone over to Windows 10. I know I shall be dragged over to it kicking and screaming.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Personally, I don't mind it. I've been using Windows since 3.0, and my experience has largely gone like this:

Windows 3.0: Not a huge fan, DOS is better - especially with XTreeGold.
    Windows For Workgroups (3.11): This isn't actually all that bad.
    Windows 95: Pretty good, and Doom 95 is crackin'!
    Windows 98: Great!
    Windows NT: Yeah, runs well on my server.
    Windows 2000: OK for a daily driver.
    Windows ME: No thanks.
    Windows XP: Good for gaming.
    Windows Vista: Eugh.
    Windows 7: Skipped.
    Windows 8: Skipped
    Windows 10: Well, I wouldn't want to use it every day, but it gets the job done in a pinch.

The thing that gets me isn't how different Windows 10 is, but how similar it is to Windows versions going all the way back to Windows 95. I swear, I had to change a network setting the other day and I went into the Control Panel and brought up the exact same window that I would have done in Windows 95 - right down to the checkboxes for 'features' like IPv4, IPv6, and IPX/SPX. Have we not come up with something better by now?

Back on topic: blocking updates like that is a seriously low blow, and makes me glad I don't use Windows as my daily OS any more (haven't done since Windows 2000, and even then it was only while I was in the office.)

Last edited: 17 Mar 2017
  7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

We have, but windows had to keep the lazy IT depts of big businesses on-side. Those options are still there because they are expected to be there.

A large number of windows' quirks and problems trace back to 'legacy' shite that's only [still] there because the afore-mentioned, can't or won't move on.

And if MS dare move or change any of it, cue the massive backlash. So we're left with large chunks of stuff that's virtually unchanged sine NT 4.0.

'but we've always done it like this'... the bane of innovation.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Businesses probably won't be effect as you'd assume they're using WSUS and anyone with some tech savvy won't be effected as they can use the Windows update catalog and WSUS offline updater.

There's not been any reports that Microsoft have started blocking the use of Windows update on newer processors yet so maybe they're just testing the waters, by publishing the KB article, to see what the community reaction would be to the possibility of it happening

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Windows 2 = Massive usability improvements (many of which are still around today).
    98SE = First proper USB support (and with it first fully functional plug and play for peripherals).
    2000 / XP = Network setup massively simplified.
    7 = Significant improvements in stability.

Everything else has been superficial changes.

Anyway, moronic di**move from MS to block updates like that and I expect it to backfire on them.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Why would it backfire on them? You think if every enthusaist leaves they will give a crap? Cause they won't.

To play most of the latest games you will need a windows 10 pc.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It seems Microsoft is intending to go through with this on April's patch Tuesday, if you've got a Skylake, Kaby Lake, Bristol Ridge, or Ryzen CPU then the Windows 7 & 8 April 2017 Security Monthly Quality Rollup looks likely to disable future use of Windows update on those versions of Windows

12. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

It might knock out the automatic updates, but I'm sure there will be a way around it and doing the updates manually.