1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sega: PC market is bigger than you think

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

...market which Sony's UK director John Clark ...

?

3. kempez

kempez modding again!

Confused the hell outta me too ;)

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Fixed.

5. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

And me.

The reason they conveniently ignore the digital marketplace is because if they were to include it, it would be much harder to justify all the saber rattling about piracy and then they wouldn't be able to push crappy drm down our throats. Greedy pigs.

Not to mention the ridiculous notion that they should have the power to ban peole from the internet.

6. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I would believe that PC gaming is definitely growing if I were to measure its popularity based on the people I know.

Most gamers I know have always owned consoles. However, increasingly, they are being introduced to PC gaming.

Some discover that their favorite console game is available on the PC, and that they can play their 'non-Ubisoft' games on the move via a laptop.

Others have gotten into hardcore PC gaming after meeting with the awesomeness of their first high end gaming PC experience and asking me to build them a system.

GF is into the Sims and has converted more of her friends to get down with the Sims so that they can have more s%$^! to talk about with each other.

Most of my PC games have been digital download versions that would not show up on most PC sales charts.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Holy hell, someone put their sanity cap on at Sega!

8. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

This is according to...Sega. Nuff said.

9. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

:duh:

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

LOL. I did read it out in Professor Farnsworth's voice.

11. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

I've taken my son to LAN party's on occasion hosted by older adults. Yesterday he went to one being hosted by kids his age. I was dumbstruck, thinking what are teenage boys doing having a PC LAN party? I thought it was all about consoles for them. I saw it as PC gaming on the upswing (becoming popular) again.

12. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

I am looking forward to Alpha Protocol

13. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Hmmm I switched from console to pc about a year ago, so too did a couple of my mates as they watched what I was doing. Dont really know why except I started tinkering with the computer and then reading more and more on it on the web... Alongside games there's a whole plethora of tech to get buried in, which makes it a hobbie as well as a pastime- like learning to overclock properly and the satisfaction of making ur pc stable and knowing how and why. Lookin forward to my second 5870 vapour x to arrive next week and seeing how smooth things run after. Definately think the market is returning to the gamestores for new releases due to high online prices as there are more copies of new released pc games on shelves fir the last few months

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The PC market is massive if you look at it through a small viewing range. Look at it through a 'normal' viewing range and its dieing.

Most of the downloads are old games that were released years ago, or they are online only games that require you to pay for things if you don't want to spend half your waking life slaving over it.

Good one Sega.

15. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

FIZZBAN are you for real? You must be retarded, because what you posted was a large pile of wrong. Educate yourself about how massive the PC game library is idiot.

16. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

He has a point though. Counterstrike always seems to be high on the Steam top-sellers list. And it be old.

17. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

I think, as the current-gen of consoles becomes older PC gaming IS becoming more popular.

Especially as Sony And Microsoft (apparenly) Have no plans for a new console until 4 or 5 years time, Meaning the 360 will be 10 years old by the time it gets an upgrade, and 10 years is a long time it hardware land.

As far as "most of the PC game sales are old games" I agree, I think this is mainly due to our wonderful steam sales.

18. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

FIZZBAN, do you even PC game or are you just trolling? Don't forget Capcom jumped on the PC side recently. Historically console devs supporting PC gaming now, hmmm. Believe them or Fizzan? Or course the same can be said for companies like EPIC jumping from PC to console but they IMHO where bought out by Microsoft aka sellouts.

Seriously when you look at consoles they really don't have much going for them when it comes to actual unique games. They are riding on PC gamings coat tails. The huge majority of hits are from PC (some ex) gaming developers and also are FPS which if compared side by side the majority of gamers would pick the PC version. Unfortunately console gamers need to be educated about the PC gaming platform. PC gaming has no champion to promote it. IT survives on its own word of mouth.

There have been so many great PC games released over the past couple years I cannot keep up. I'm still looking at buying 4 or 5 just released in the past couple months. I have a half dozen I've bought still unwrapped sitting on my desk. I used to at least unwrap them, install and play for 10 mins. I don't even have time for that now. :)

19. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Why is he wrong? Note: I'm neither for nor against either platform, but I'm curious if you can offer a rebuttal grounded more in reason and logic and less in petty name calling.

In recent newspaper ads, I've seen a growing push for certain laptops/media center hubs. Personally, I think the long-term trend is for consoles and PCs to become nearly indistinguishable. The PS3 already acts more as an interface between movies, on-line content, television, and games, and I don't think the other console developers are content to let Sony simply walk away with a device that has so many functions. Could a computer device with 6 cores and 8GB of RAM play a game on one monitor, stream a wireless TV signal to another, and run a VOIP application in the background? I think that's where the industry is headed.

With wireless connectivity getting better every year, and as more devices become integrated into the wireless home environment, I can see generic media centers becoming more common. Will it be the next generation of consoles? Will it be the PC? Will it be a hybrid of the two?

Is PC gaming dieing? Is console gaming dieing. Is one or the other actually on the rise? The answers are: yes, yes, and yes.

Tags: Add Tags