1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civilization IV Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 25 Oct 2005.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

If that means dumbed down so the mentally-highly-average can play soldiers, it loses the point. Civ 2 was the version, get to tanks first and then conquer the world. :rock:

Better graphics != Better game

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Its a common trend. They say its accessable, that means they want more profits so have slashed the intelligence and dedication requirements in favour of simplicity and easy rewards. The worlds turning into an FPS :(

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Looks nice, but still not nice enough imo. They could easily implement some nice water effects with dx9 etc

5. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

i remember playing civ on my amiga 500 for hours on end. It is truely one of the greatest game francises of all time.
    I can wait for this to hit the shelves...

6. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Wow -

Too bad my pregnant fiance has a problem with me spending 20+ hours at a sitting playing video games..... She actually wants me to interact with her and help clean the house and such....

When was the last time I played civ? 94?

7. Migishu

Migishu What's a Dremel?

Yeah, they could've done it themselves, but the games open for heavy customization

Either way, I want, now!

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Might be worth a play, dunno. Civ2 was indeed an excellent game. It doesn't look like it'll rape my computer, but then again [insert phrase of choice for good computer to counteract previous comment] so I'll take some extra graphics for a lower framerate. And in any case, it's hardly an FPS so it doesn't need 30+fps at all times. Even Chaos Theory would let me get away with 15-20 on occasion, as it's more stealthy than go around and kill everyone.

9. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

YEAH!! I've been playing Civ2 on my Playstation for 4 years now! Time to upgrade! *does happy dance*

10. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

you can actualy endure civ on a playstation? Iv played starcraft on an n64, that was hell but wow.

RTS and the like do not mix with consoles

I found civ 3 slightly boring on the PC. not excited, but I admit it looks good

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not good enough imo. It's all well and good releasing an SDK to let others do the work for you :/ But if i spend my hard earned wonger on a game i want it to do what it should do, not let others make it instead. Anyway, it says you cant screw with the engine, an i doubt the engine supports some hardcore DX9 functions.

12. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, Civilization 2 on a playstation 1 wasn't great, but it was livable. The worst part was the theme music (duh du du du du duuuhh, do do do do dooo...). That almost drove me nuts.

13. LaughingJon

LaughingJon What's a Dremel?

have had this on preorder since like August.. well looking forward to it lol.

hoping their idea of a "quick game" really is just a few hours rather than the days spent on all the others..

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

looks interesting - I have been wanting to find a new game which isn't yet another FPS...

PS - Typo page 2 para 2: "...This is your standard map editing fayre, wi... That should be 'fare' I believe. (fayre is psuedo-archaic)

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

if by nice you mean 'crappy' then yes :p
    Ground Control 2 looks better than that and its a few years old now

16. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Ohhhhh lala. :D I first played CIV on an AT IIRC. Can't wait as this game is truly addictive. It's even got warning signs on the box saying it is addictive. :hehe: :hehe:

17. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Changing to new Civic forms will have a dramatic effect on the character and success of your civilization. You'll be able to boost or cut productivity, wealth, and happiness, make choices to increase/decrease the spread of religion, and even affect your ability to produce and maintain a large standing army."

Alpha centauri anyone? Been there done that, but it's a dang good idea and leads to some interesting social engineering. Barbaric, tree hugging and warmongering? Or maybe a free market supported by a massive criminal organisation? (INSERT SOCIAL SATIRE HERE) :D

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

cant wait to be frank, was playing civ3 only yesterday.....and now today...and probably tomorrow....dammit help me!

19. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Well It looks interesting and yeah I started playin Civ way back on an Amiga 1000 too, So I can hardly wait, But I will as I have other interests that come first right now. :eeek: :duh: :waah: I just love the blue emoticons here. :thumb:

20. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I What's a Dremel?

I'd be surprised if the game play stands up to Civilization 2. Civ 3 was gay, all the culture bull **** made it impossible to be a war mongering maniac. I hate getting cheaped out by AI players that can build units twice as fast, and end up winning on sheer mass alone, and not any actual strategy. Beef up the strategy of the enemies, allow more war mongering and you've got yourself a game. In Civ 2 all that mattered was expand as fast as you can and tech hard, while taking over a few smaller civilizations and you would have yourself an empire in no-time. In Civ 3 if you expanded to fast you ended up with WAY to many problems.

Tags: Add Tags