1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Sandy Bridge Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klutch4891, 24 Nov 2011.

1. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

It looks like I might be getting a new computer when Christmas comes. I think I have most of the build picked out, but would like some feedback. I'll be reusing the PSU, GPU, disc drive, and filling up all 4 hard drive slots.

CPU: i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
    RAM: 16GB of Mushkin 1.35V DDR3 1600 (4x4GB)
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB
    Case: Silverstone TJ08-E (I'll be installing a fan in the rear 120mm slot)
    CPU Cooler: Either the Noctua NH-C14 or the Corsair H60

I'm having an issue choosing the CPU cooler. I know the H60 will fit in the case and won't interfere with the RAM slots; but I think the NH-C14 will provide better cooling. My only issue is if it will block one of the RAM slots (from this post and picture it looks like it will).

[​IMG]

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Just get corsairs low profile ram, and everything else looks good :)

3. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Looks a good build, you wont need 16GB of ram though so could save some money by going for 8GB instead.

4. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

How old is your current PSU? I would suggest getting a cheaper board (why do you need a really high end z68 board?) and 8GB of RAM and spend the money you saved on a new PSU if its over 2 years old.

Oh, and please say you will not still be using that 40GB HDD in your sig!

5. klutch4891

I chose the Gene-Z based on Bit's buying guide, it also has an update for Ivy Bridge if I decide I want that later.

I was wavering between 8 and 16GB on the RAM, I went with 16 just because it's so cheap right now (only an extra $55). Will I see a difference between the two? My uses are mostly gaming, with movies/music, and Photoshop/CAD every once in awhile.

As for the PSU and the HDD's, the power supply is a Corsair HX650 from about a year ago and the hard drives are 2x Samsung 2TB's and 2x Samsung 1TB's.

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Only thing that stopped me downsizing to a Gene Z and TJ08-e was there isnt much room between a big cpu cooler, and the gfx card. Just a little too close for my comfort.

7. klutch4891

It does look like a small clearance, but I'm ready to have a smaller computer. My Cosmos is great, but it is too big and heavy.

Also, I forgot to mention I'll be using my Xonar DX as well, not that it will have an effect on the feedback.

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

What connection is your sound card ? As i do remember reading somewhere about the Gene-z and soundcard fitment trouble in the TJ08-E case, i was ready to click buy until these few things threw me off.

9. klutch4891

It's a PCI-E x1, so the graphics card will go in the top x16 slot and this in the very last slot (the x1). Any chance you can find that information again? Because that would be a deal breaker.