1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Word Document Disappeared off External HDD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by GeorgeK, 22 Jun 2016.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

A friend had a word document on an external hard drive which has disappeared - he saved it and then pulled the usb cable out. When he's gone to open it up again it's totally disappeared. It also doesn't appear in a list of recoverable hidden / deleted files - any thoughts? Any ideas? It's not life or death but it'll be a pain in the ass to have to do all the work again from scratch.

Cheers

GK

2. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

First thing to check was did he definitely save it to the HDD?

Had users swear they've saved something somewhere only to find it in a different location.

The list of recent files in Word should show the doc.

You could try a data recovery tool on the HDD if it has gone.

I've used this before with some success: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

3. GeorgeK

Yeah - it was definitely on the HDD. We looked in the recent file list and the path was definitely X:/ which is the external hdd. I'll suggest that program to him.

Cheers

GK

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It used to be the case that delayed write would potentially cause things like this to happen. Saving and quickly disconnecting the drive without using safely remove/eject would mean windows hadn't actually written the file to the disk even though it had shown as saved. Not sure if that is still a thing with modern Windows and small files though.

5. GeorgeK

It sounds like that's what's happened but at this point I don't know if there's any way to check :(

6. tionvits92

tionvits92 What's a Dremel?

I usually use Recuva