1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel invests in 22nm fabs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Intel's probably been able to output good processors as they are familiar with their process's quirks well, unlike nVidia or AMD that needed to test TSMC's 40nm process...

3. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

intel's response to amd?
    would be great though if they could squeeze out enough juice from a 22nm to succesfully run a laptop. think of the battery time.
    can't see why it would be a great addition to the mobile phone market as there already are a couple of phones out there with 1ghz processors.

4. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

The only price I want to know is the price of theese babies!! I hope AMD can do some competition to Intel, so that those babies can have a good price...

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Mobile = tablets?

6. Memnoch-fr

Memnoch-fr What's a Dremel?

Intel are right in wanting control on manufacturing, the initial investment is higher, but you have full control on quality, minor changes can be made quicker, prototyping always easier. Good to see they could get it past the shareholders. I doubt you will see the difference in price.

7. ulfar

they'll also gain some rep+1 since they're creating new job opportunities and whatnot, that should increase sales as well /me thinks

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Keep it coming Intel! They really have hit everything out of the park recently so whatever they do next will surely benefit us all.

9. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

pretty sure last time they outsource fab it turned into AMD, don't think they will let that happen again.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

awesome

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's never been a reason for anything to stop in the technology industry. Why not have a 2GHz processor in your phone? And why not make it dual core as well? More more more more.

As for the article, as cheesy and propaganda-ish as Intel's statement sounds (4 AMERIKUH), I'm glad they're pumping their money into more fabs, more research, and more jobs rather than pocketing all of their income just because AMD is still so far behind.

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

SWEEEEEEET!!!!!

13. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

For desktops the step from 32nm to 28 wont mean that much in performance gains unless the architecture is suitably well designed and improved upon compared to exisiting tech (lower power requirements is always good and this will bring that advantage).

32-22 will be a nice performance stepping and will include some really nice tech developments I suspect.

We need synergy between hardware and software advances.....

Still it's all wasted if the focus remains on cores and not Mhz unless the software and games developers start focusing on true 'multi core' capabilities as well as standardising on 64bit instead of 32.

If we talk PC games these will continue to be driven in thd mainstream by console designs, that is to say if next gen consoles remain 32bit and lack 4+ cores processing capabilities, PC games pioneering for multi core platforms will be the exception rather than the norm.

So my hope is that software/console and games developers all embrace multi core now, in preparation for the new hardware trends.

14. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

That reminded me more of Catch-22, 'What's good for M&M Enterprises is good for the world'

15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

What Cheese? What Propaganda?

At least when they say they're doing something, the end result is they do it and a damn fine job at it.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

TSR2 got it:
    When you have a phrase like "a further commitment to invest in the future of <company> and <home country and/or the world>" it's going to sound like cheesy propaganda, whether it's true or not, regardless of who's saying it. It's something I'd half expect to be a quote from Vault-Tec in a Fallout game.

17. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

Development is always good and more speed always better, but until parallel programming actually allows full multiple core use I would love to see them move the 4 core processors on in raw speed and then let's hope that the rest of the systems catch up.

18. ulfar

what i meant was that when this hits the market (2011?) the processors that are currently being used will probably have clock speeds of well above 2 ghz, although i do agree that a dual or even quad core would be awesome in a phone =). perhaps one core dedicated as gpu?
    blurring the line between phone and laptop (already done by palm a while ago).

Tags: Add Tags