1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft unveils Windows 8 keyboards, mice

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Maybe it's just me but it seems like companies are trying to make us less proficient at using our computing devices. I mean just look at that oddball POS mouse ! I can only imagine what the weird uncomfortable looking thing the keyboard is.
    I'm glad I just ordered a rat 9 mouse and when budget allows a cyborg v7 keyboard - Proper designs made more functional ! not this dodgy looking gimmick.

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

RAT 9 and Cyborg V7...

Oh the irony :p

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Those are standard designs with added usefulness. Not like an uncomfy looking mouse with a touchpad surface ! I mean can you imagine trying to push that thing around a desk ? admittedly a mechanical keyboard might be better than a V7 but that would be waaay out of my budget and I've never tried one to see the difference.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

That wedge mouse looks dreadful. I assume you're just supposed to grip it with your finger tips? So it's effectively the front part of a mouse without the back half?

All their marketing materials and fact sheets detail how attractive it is rather than how ergonomic it is, so they're not doing this because it's a natural evolution - they're doing it because... er... someone help me.

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

OH COME ON!!!

7. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

lol, now we know what microsoft thinks of us ! a bunch of wan*ers.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm actually quite impressed it took til the 5th comment for my prediction to come true. :p

9. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I like the design of that mouse. I use a claw grip, so my hand is not really touching anything except the front part of the mouse. If it has the same width as a normal mouse, this one will be much more comfortable than the minimouses they now market as 'portable'. Some thumb buttons would be welcome, however.

10. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

Took for the 5th comment for someone to actually *read* the entire article…

/me goes back to read the entire article.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

AFAIK, MS usually never made their own input devices, it was usually companies like Logitech and MS just slapped their name on. Kinda like Dell monitors, where Samsung and NEC manufacture it.

Considering how much I hate MS, I'm actually pretty interested to see the keyboard. The mouse seems interesting too but I don't find it to be a stupid product. I've always liked MS input and media devices, especially considering that some of the more quirky ones work better in linux than they do in Windows.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I've got a strong sense of déjà vu. I'm sure we've had a -cum- debate in a comments thread before, and not even that long ago...

EDIT: Yep...

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Actually, I was about to comment on that earlier. And would have posted the first comment. For some reason I just couldn't get myself to do it, though. Probably because I'm such a nice boy ...yeah, sure. ;)

14. stanonwheels

stanonwheels What's a Dremel?

Is nobody else actually kind of curious about the wedge mouse? It's got all the contact points I use for gaming minus the macro buttons, if it's weighted right that could be really interesting. To me, any new hardware's good hardware, especially when it's something a bit different like this :)

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Guys.. the mouse is a claw grip. And it's not designed for you to play games. It's for a TABLET. you want the mouse as small as possible. For reference, here is the mouse with the AA battery hole.
    [​IMG]

Get a AA battery in front of you, and if you are some imagination, you can image this very small mouse at the tip of your finger tip.

The mouse has Microsoft Bluetrack technology sensor, so it works any surface no problem.

It's like the Logitech Cube mouse:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You don't play games with it, you don't start drawing with it. You don't do any extended work. It's just when you want to use a mouse for a moment.

Anyway, here are some additional pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cover protects your tablet from being scratch by the keyboard.. and the cover is also used as a stand for your tablet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jul 2012
  16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Wedge mouse ...instant fail. Wedge keyboard ...looks acceptable but I'll reserve judgment for later.

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Actually Microsoft does make their own keyboard and mouse. If you open a recent keyboard and mouse, you'll see "Microsoft" on all circuit board(s). Also, unlike Dell/HP/Lenovo mouse, where Logitech SetPoint software work with them, as they ARE Logitech mouses. For Microsoft it's not the case. It only works with Microsoft own software, as they are the ones making it.

The Verge did a little tour at Microsoft model shop for peripheral design.

18. pantalaimon

pantalaimon What's a Dremel?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/stee...ce=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Microsoft... what are you thinking?!

20. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

First light pens and now this, what's next?
    MS might as well just come out and say it, "Metro, it's crap for desktops"

Tags: Add Tags