1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia still dominates graphics card market, says JPR

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Nov 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's better than bad news, I 'spose.

I would imagine their mid range cards are selling quite well now, given they're mostly better value than Nvidia's.

It's a shame you still can't meaningfully overclock a Fury X but I would imagine the damage has been done with the 980ti.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I think there are 2 significant things to consider when it comes to this new market data:
    1. The Geforce 900 series has been around significantly longer than the Radeon 300 series, and it left a good first impression.
    2. Most of the Radeon 300 series was almost entirely just rebrands, so if people already owned anything from the 200 or HD 7000 series, there was no point in upgrading.

If the R9 400 series only has GPUs that are GCN 1.2 or newer, I think it will sell well.

I agree, though I don't fully understand why. What I really don't get is why people insist on choosing nvidia over AMD when it comes to anything but the 980Ti, 750Ti, or 730/640. AMD can easily compete with the rest of nvidia's products, but people still act like nvidia is the only choice. That's like saying "Audi has the R8, therefore you should pick Audi over Honda whether or not you get the R8".

4. rollo

rollo Modder

It's a lot to do with Marketing. Like Intel, Nvidia has good Market image people see it as the premium product. Price comparisons only really valid on sites like this.

Most people I speak too say the nvidia 970 is the best card for 1080p that's despite the fact that AMD have cards that offer better value for money. Similar story with the 960. And that's the 2 big sellers for Nvidia.

Marketing has got Nvidia a big lead and it will take a major lapse for AMD to breach that gap. It's a similar reason to Samsungs brutal domination of android profits they are considered the best brand wether the phone is the best or not is irelivent.

5. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

I think it also comes down to how well Nvidia work with Devs, better performing software, free advertising and better driver support because they work with said Devs.

6. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I've used both AMD and Nvidia high end cards
    AMD feels like an american muscle car compared to Nvidias Ferrari and the games racecourse has a lot of tricky corners.